6V start on 12V battery

Rogillio

The mechnic has my '26 Dodge back together. With the new piston and rings and such he said it is too 'tight' to start on the 6V battery. He got it started on 12 volts. I am told the started is 12V compatible. My question is, will the 12V hurt the coil or condenser if only applied when starting? I don't know if he kept them on 6V and only put the 12V directly across the starter? He is having trouble getting the fuel system primed so it only ran for about a minute. My hope is, if he can keep her running, the engine will run-in and then be able to start on the 6V.

I know the feeling of apprehension when someone else is doing stuff to your pride and joy but maybe let the mechanic worry about the coil etc. if it's down to him to hand the car back to you in working order. So long as he knows what he is doing I doubt there will be a problem.

Incidentally, how much did you have to go oversize on the pistons and how much under on the crankshaft? Tell us how much you had to do on the engine ie., valves, guides, camshaft, oil pump, timing gears etc.?

Transmissions are usually clapped out. Mine is in need of an overhaul - how is yours?

Ray.

IDK Ray what all he did. I know he said the "engine kit" was $1,000 and that included pistons and rings but he said they only had a few valves so some re replaced and some he ground.

I had had to buy a new head from Meyers as the crack in the old one was too bad to weld.

he said he found some metal and spring near the flywheel and thinks the transmission is missing parts. I am just hoping we come in under $5k. I worry about the trans next year.

I had the same problem with a rebuilt engine. I used a 4 feet pipe on the wrench to turn the engine to double check the timing. I used a fully charged battery and it started after groaning for a minute and it started, ran for a few minutes and since then it is fine . The battery cables must be the correct size. Minimum 20.