1989 BUICK REATTA SUNROOF PICS OR DIAGRAMS WANTED

Guest speegt

I JUST BOUGHT A 1989 REATTA WITH THE ELECTRIC SUNROOF IN IT , BUT ALL THE INTERIOR PIECES THAT COVER THE INSIDE ROOF AND FRONT PILLARS ARE MISSING, ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD PICS OF WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE UP THERE . ALL THE WIRING IS UP THERE BUT NO HEADLINER NO SWITCH AND NO FRONT PLASTIC PILLAR PIECES. ANY HELP APPRECIATED .I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND TRY TO GET IT WORKING AGAIN.

Test it before spending a lot of time looking for the pieces and installing them as you would need to take it apart for repair.

If the switch is missing, you should have a connector with 5 wires.

Pink wire is power and should be hot when the key is on.

With Pink hot..... jumper yellow wire to ground and Yellow/Red wire to pink..... sunroof should open to vent position

to close jumper yellow to pink and yellow/Red to black and sunroof should close

I went out today and did the wiring jumps and the motor seems to be running but of course it doesn't move the sunroof . what next , how to determine if problem is the motor or something else.

If you have done any research on this site you already know the Reatta sunroof is the same as similar year Mazda RX-7 sunroofs. This means there are lots more RX-7's than Reattas and more parts available in salvage yards. The parts are not available new from GM but Mazda has them and the last quoted price I remember is around $160 a side.....so most people are looking for used parts. Several Reatta owners have replaced the entire unit with a RX-7 sunroof.

The sunroof is pretty easy to remove....about 6 bolts, disconnect the drain lines and electrical connections.

I have a unit that I totally disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Bench tested and out of the car it is pretty simple. No it is not for sale.

Guest PontiacDude210

For what it's worth, when I bought a switch for my sunroof which hadn't opened in 8 years, it freespun for a while until it kind of popped and then opened. I assume I got lucky when the temperature was just right for it to break loose.