Servo steering hose Riviera 1965

Guest Riviera Swede

Guest Riviera Swede

Hi

I have heard or read somewhere that the Riviera 1965 and other GM cars has an orifice in the pressure hose from the power steering pump. To prevent cavitation. Is there anyone who can confirm this? Where can I buy these hoses?

Riviera regards from Sweden

Hi

I have heard or read somewhere that the Riviera 1965 and other GM cars has an orifice in the pressure hose from the power steering pump. To prevent cavitation. Is there anyone who can confirm this? Where can I buy these hoses?

Riviera regards from Sweden

My car being an unrestored low mileage car has it's original power steering hoses, and the

high pressure hose on my car has a metal crimped on fitting in the middle of it halfway between the pump and the gearbox. I have been very curious why it was there.....sounds like you have the explanation....must be an orifice in the middle of it. I haven't tried to source p/s hoses for my car....perhaps someone else who has can make a post on this thread.

post-102001-143142714152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

My car being an unrestored low mileage car has it's original power steering hoses, and the

high pressure hose on my car has a metal crimped on fitting in the middle of it halfway between the pump and the gearbox. I have been very curious why it was there.....sounds like you have the explanation....must be an orifice in the middle of it. I haven't tried to source p/s hoses for my car....perhaps someone else who has can make a post on this thread.

In the above picture, the metal fitting in the middle of the hose can be seen as a silver

object intersecting the red wire that is running in front of the brake master cylinder. The red wire

I am talking about is not from the factory. It powers up the electric choke conversion on my carburetor.

I was told by a hydraulic hose technician/business owner who has been in the business for 30 years that the purpose of that fitting/restriction is to slow down the flow of power steering fluid, allowing the fluid to stay in the reservoir for a longer period of time and thus allowing it to cool there. Dont know if I am buying that, just passing on the info in the absence of any other explanation. Interesting to note the aftermarket replacements dont have the fitting.

Tom Mooney