90 Reatta bad running

johnemac

Driving car home from a paint job and it quits on my road home, will not start. A couple hours later it started like all was ok. Replaced the crank sensor, starts but higher 1,000 rpm and rough idle. Replace ICM, and idle control, no change. Drive it and is hard to reach 25mph and everything degrades as the engine warms up until the car quits..........Car was running hot but ok when it initially quit.

No codes set, had cleaned the MAF. It is a newer fuel pump but I need to find my pressure gauge and check that. What comes to mind is if I have the harmonic balancer keyed properly. The catalytic converter was smoking off when it was first heated up. I cannot get to it for the next two days but I want to thank everyone one for their input.

DAVES89 appears to be the winner suggesting a bad catalytic converter. It makes sense that if I drive it the back pressure will shut it down. I also took a heat gun and found all the temp welled up before the cat and almost none after. I used an Advance auto $50.00 dollars off a $125.00 code and ordered a Magnaflow direct bolt on cat with mounting bolts/springs and a gasket for $88.00 and free shipping. Rock Auto has great prices but the shipping negates the deal.

Guest PontiacDude210

My dad had a ram that had a plugged muffler... really similar symptoms. He let it go a while and it melted the plastic bed liner above it.

Just recently had this on my "good" 88. I initially discounted the possibility as it is a low mileage car at under 47,000 miles. It was also a sudden onset, one drive it ran great and the next it was completely starved for power and was near impossible to get over 25 mph without going to the redline.

Removed the cat and looked into both ends, appeared to be intact. Then gave it a shake, and sounded like it was full of river rocks. Sure enough, the center 1/3 of the catalyst was all broken and collapsed causing an obstruction. Still no idea what caused it to spontaneously self destruct. Guess it was just age.

KDirk