Fuel Pump Question 64 Riviera

dhaven64

Hey guys. I removed the fuel pump from my 64 Riv with the numbers 47...stamped on the mounting flange (couldn't make out the other digits but assuming it's 4706) My question is regarding a small odd shaped hole on the underside casting between 2 screws. Is it normal or do I need a new fuel pump? I would like to rebuild this one if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys. I removed the fuel pump from my 64 Riv with the numbers 47...stamped on the mounting flange (couldn't make out the other digits but assuming it's 4706) My question is regarding a small odd shaped hole on the underside casting between 2 screws. Is it normal or do I need a new fuel pump? I would like to rebuild this one if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most fuel pumps have a hole in the casting on the bottom so that if the diaphragm fails, the

gasoline has a place to leak out on the ground rather than be forced to leak into the timing cover and fill the engine oil with gasoline. This is probably the hole you are seeing. Water pumps have the same

hole, called a weep hole that allows a pump that has failed to leak coolant on the ground rather than forcing it through the water pump bearing which could lead to total failure and the pump hub flying

off causing damage to other underhood components.