Tuning a V-12

Ron K.

My V-12 is running pretty ragged and I suspect it has something to do with the distributor because some cylinders are getting a very weak, if any, spark. Have any of you seen a "how to" set of instructions on changing points and condenser, tuning and testing the V-12 distributor? I also need to re-torque the head bolts and my Motors Manual says that Lincoln never recommended a specific pattern, just work from the center out. I have seen a number of recommended patterns for the Ford Flathead V-8 but could not find one for the V-12, anybody have one?

The distributer has to be removed from the engine to do the work. There are several vendors who will do the work for you if you ship it to them. I wanted to try it myself several years ago and found out a back issue of TWTZ Vol. 27, Sept.-Oct 1994 had an article written by Jack Fleming on how to set the timing on the bench with an ohmmeter and a degree wheel. The wheel is printed in the article. I copied the wheel, trimmed it and taped it to the distributer.

Your weak spark may be due to leaking capacitors or bad coils. Both can be had from vendors. Also the ballast resistors are known to cause trouble.

Maybe someone will jump in and tell us the following: 1) ohm value of good ballast resistor, 2) voltage reading at primary side of coils with engine running, 3) resistance of primary and secondary side of coils. Knowing these things would be very helpful in trouble shooting your problem.

If you can get it to run, carefully measure the voltage at the points terminal on the coils (without fingers in the fan). Each should be somewhere around three volts. If one is six volts or zero, you have a problem as described above. Fouled plugs also make a difference. (Don't ask how I know.) Bottom bolt is tough to see, mark the big end of the distributor slot in the cam, and the corresponding end of the distributor so you can get it back properly. I've also had broken spring in NOS points.

Abe