Fender welt, when did Studebaker start using it?

studeboy

In the absence of welting, a layer of 3M "Super 88" electrical tape will prevent squeaking between sheet metal pieces. Trim it so it's about 1/4" in from the edge and it won't be seen. It comes in black. Don't use the cheap tape for this. The Super 88 tape is fairly thick (.0085") as tapes go and sticks well. If you want to really hide the tape, the 3M Type 35 tape comes in 10 colors, is 0.007" thick. You may need to go to an electrical supply house for the colors; the Super 88 tape should be at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

See http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/EMDCI/Home/Products/Catalog/~/All-3M-Products/Industry-and-Professionals/Electronics-Electrical-Supplies/Electrical-Commercial-Industrial-Products-Catalog/Electrical-Tape-Mastics-Special-Use/Vinyl-Electrical-Tapes

There are two types of fender welt that I've seen....the beaded type where the bead shows between the fender and body and the non-beaded type that would be loacted far enough inboard from the fender edge that it would be compressed and not be seen. I thought I would reassemble my car with the non-beaded type. I believe Restoration Supply sells it. Gary got me thinking though. I have some 3M Scotch 130 deg C Linerless Splicing Tape....great stuff, rubber based, conforms really well, slightly tacky on both sides, sticks to itself and is 0.030" thick.

Scott

• 1 month later...