A100 power steering questions

Guest funbuilder59

Guest funbuilder59

Our A100 is one odd duck! ( look at the thread about headboard tail gate, roll down back window) can anyone tell me if the pics show A100 power steering set up stuff or if it's adapted along with the 4 wheel drive stuff. I think we're going to pull these parts out and replace with manual steering parts , this pump cries in pain when turning the wheel and the end seal leaks on the assist piston, there also seems to be some extra slack in the selector just behind the pitman arm...too bad the replacement drag link is listed for almost $300!!!!! Any cheaper options or suggestions?

post-102895-143142711532_thumb.jpg

post-102895-143142711553_thumb.jpg

post-102895-143142711573_thumb.jpg

post-102895-143142711594_thumb.jpg

Guest funbuilder59

Well, after much detective work...we find this is whats called a Bendix power steering set up. It appears to be stock to the truck, if so that means this truck is stranger then we thought! We're told p.s. was a very rare option in 65... There is a company called Slsteering that will rebuild the cylinder incl. a new shaft for $295 w/ 2 day turnaround. I believe they are some where around L.A. in CA. Our problem is ...that by the time we got it back into the truck, it would almost double the price of our truck!!!!!!:D We are looking for manual parts to use while we decide on the rest of the project, this will let us run it around a bit to sort out the other long sitting / neglect details. enjoy

hey fun builder59, I have a used control valve unit if you are interested. ford also used this same set up on their trucks of the late 60's. I don't know if the valves are the same and just the drag link hookup parts are different or if they are totally different. I had a 66 dodge 3/4 ton truck with this type set up on it. they are touchy. when they work they work good when they have issues it seems like its hard to get back to normal. if you like I could send some pics of the one I have. I also have some dodge truck parts books that have an exploded view of the control valve. I have not got the hang of posting pics on here I have gotten lucky in the past but do not remember how to do it. the pic has to be down sized I think. just let me know if interested.

thanks

carl

Guest funbuilder59

Hello 29dodgetruck, thanks for the offers, but my son and I bought a drag link to make it manual steering again from a friend over the weekend, cheap. This will afford us some time to decide the next step. Our power set up cries in pain when you turn the wheel, and it's not consistent so it jumps in and out of power assist...very hard to drive it that way! We would be interested in the repair info and pics if we could arrange that. The P.S. was one of the reasons we bought this truck. Where are you located? We are in central San Diego.