1947 Dodge Power Wagon *SOLD*

*SOLD*

It's official, I'm apparently the go-to guy for vintage Dodge Power Wagons. We just sold a nice 1957 that shipped last week and this one arrived on Tuesday to replace it. It's actually a lot more stock-looking and acting than most and thanks to a fairly recent cosmetic freshening, it looks great. It's also one of the best-driving examples I've had. They're all pretty primitive, but this one feels a lot more polished and goes down the road rather well. I don't know much about the River Ridge Ranch or why their logos are on the doors, but a Google search tells me they're a high-end bed and breakfast for horseback riding enthusiasts. The paint is quite good, the bodywork is very straight, and if you know anything about Power Wagons, you'll note that this one is wearing a correct early bed with easily removable oak stake sides that kind of warm it up. The River Ridge Ranch decals on the doors are probably easy enough to remove, although I'm not going to risk it. The chrome emblems are good, much of the rubber appears to be new, and the bed and running boards are coated with textured spray-in bed liner material, so it's still usable as a truck, too. The tailgate has a slight divot in the center of the top rail that was maybe a result of trying to connect a trailer while the tailgate was down, but otherwise it's cosmetically one of the better trucks I've sold.

The interior is basic Power Wagon, although the gray cloth upholstery is a little more plush than the usual sticky vinyl. I like it and it looks like OEM stuff from a late-model, so it should be durable enough for the Power Wagon, too. All the gauges appear to be functional, with the ammeter replaced by a voltmeter (truck was converted to 12 volts) and a modern gas gauge next to it. There are quite a few accessories, including the 2-axis cup holder that's pretty handy considering the Power Wagon's intended function, plus a fan overhead to help keep things cool. There's also a Mopar under-dash heater that works properly. The wipers are just about the only things that don't work. A new floor mat was recently installed and there's a bit of insulation underneath, so this Power Wagon is quieter and controls heat better than most of the others I've driven.

It's easy to underestimate the 230 cubic inch inline-six under the hood, but thanks to tall gears, it actually moves the big truck around with ease. It's a little cranky at first, so use the choke until it's warmed up, then it pulls with vigor. It's painted black, which isn't correct (it should be silver) but there's plenty of evidence of maintenance, including new ignition system components and a fresh air cleaner. I don't think authenticity was the goal, but it is tidy and always starts right up thanks to 12 volts running through its wiring. The 4-speed manual transmission takes some familiarization (third gear is waaaaayy over there) but doesn't need any coddling and even without synchros it doesn't really need a double-clutch and first gear is only for really slow going anyway. The 4-wheel-drive components appear complete, although I haven't tested it off-road, and yes, the PTO winch up front works, too, which is perhaps the Power Wagon's most awesome feature. There's also a hitch out back with a trailer brake controller, but I'm not sure what you'd be towing with a top speed of 52 MPH, and it is removable with just six bolts since it compromises departure angles if you're off-roading. It's got five fresh Goodyears, too.

I've sold about ten of these in the past two years. I would call this the third-nicest, following the resto-mod with Cummins diesel power (sold for $90,000) and the freshly restored one I sold in March for $60,000. This one is $39,900 and I don't expect it to last very long. I'm always open to reasonable offers, of course, but don't dawdle on this one!

Make no mistake, Power Wagons are red hot and we are watching one of those price explosions happening in real-time (much like the Mercedes 190SLs, the Amphicars, the Toyota FJ40s, and the Dino Ferraris). If you've ever wanted to get in while the getting was good, now is the time. I predict that we will see the first $100,000 Power Wagon in Scottsdale this January and very shortly restoration shops will be flooded with these trucks. I don't sell many old cars where I predict a financial upside, but for the guys who want to "invest" in an affordable old vehicle that they can enjoy and be pretty confident in some modest appreciation, the post-war Dodge WDX Power Wagon is my #1 recommendation.

Thanks for reading!

post-31138-143142711172_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711177_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711182_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711186_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711191_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711195_thumb.jpg

post-31138-1431427112_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711204_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711209_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711213_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142711219_thumb.jpg