Where to get a DYNAFLOW rebuilt ?

ceejay

Hi all,

I need to get the dynaflow from my 58 Buick Century rebuilt.

One company quoted $5000 and 3 weeks to do the trans and the torque converter.

Does this sound about right for a full professional rebuild ?

Any places that anyone can suggest I can ask that is competent to rebuild a Dynaflow ?

Guest tboldstuff

Midwest transmission in Milaca MN, he's been doing transmissions a long time and knows his older transmission. Hope this helps, he's done great work for me.

Yeah its a horrendous cost, restoring this car. We can not import classics into Sri Lanka so I did not have the option of importing a good car from USA.

All my parts come from USA and all my chrome is going to the USA and coming back as well.

I'll post a link to my restoration album soon

• Like 1

I have a Dynaflow currently being rebuilt at a shop just north of Fort Worth, Texas that was recommended to me. It's a small shop in the suburb of Watauga, Texas, and the only two employees are a couple of older guys with gray hair who like old cars (a good sign!) and have done Dynaflows previously. I should have a report on this in another week or two when the transmission is done.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

1927 model 26-S

1948 model 56-S

1948 model 76-S

1949 model 51

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1958 model 49-R

1959 Electra 2-dr ht.

and others....

Hi ceejay. First off, $5000 to rebuild a Dynaflow is too much. For your consideration, I am thinking $5000 USA Dollars. But I have heard of people spending up to 2000 USA dollars for that service.

For 58 there are two different Dynaflows. The regular one has a "L" on the shift designator you see inside the car. PNDLR. The less common one has a "G" in that place, PNDGR. The less common one will probably cost more to rebuild as parts are more difficult to come by.

MOST IMPORTANT, is for you to describe why you need to rebuild your transmission. Dynaflows are very durable transmissions. But they are not at all like other automatics of the time. There is a good chance yours does not need to be rebuilt. Can you describe what you feel are it's problems?

Hi ceejay. First off, $5000 to rebuild a Dynaflow is too much. For your consideration, I am thinking $5000 USA Dollars. But I have heard of people spending up to 2000 USA dollars for that service.

For 58 there are two different Dynaflows. The regular one has a "L" on the shift designator you see inside the car. PNDLR. The less common one has a "G" in that place, PNDGR. The less common one will probably cost more to rebuild as parts are more difficult to come by.

Your dynaflow is probably the variable pitch type, which is very easy to find most parts. The unit is really easy to rebuild. And of course you may only need a seal up kit, which is reasonable in price. If it were for me, I would rebuild it myself. Hardest part is the rear end being slid back to disconnect from torque ball on transmission.

MOST IMPORTANT, is for you to describe why you need to rebuild your transmission. Dynaflows are very durable transmissions. But they are not at all like other automatics of the time. There is a good chance yours does not need to be rebuilt. Can you describe what you feel are it's problems?

The other dynaflow is known as FLIGHT PITCH dynaflow and it's very hard to find parts for. It has PRNDG for the shift indicator. Standard equipment on 58 roadmasters and limiteds. Optional on Supers, Centurys, and Specials.

The dynaflow you have has parts available and are reasonable. If it were me I would rebuild it myself.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The car I bought to restore, had not run for 15 years or more. The car was parked in a semi open garage for this time where it was exposed to lots of moisture.

The outside of the transmission is a little rusty. I'm sure after 15 years of sitting in one place, that it needs a full service with all new gaskets and seals ??

I could import the full rebuilt kit and let the best auto transmission shop in the country (Sri Lanka) service it. However, they have never ever seen a Dynaflow before so they will not know how and what to check and how to adjust the various things inside.

Looking at the factory workshop manual for the Dynaflow, there are a LOT of complicated procedures to go through, to service and adjust one correctly.

This is why I am thinking about sending my trans to USA to a professional and having it done.

Interesting. I might think the outside rusted cause it was cleaned. If it was, chances are it was cleaned when it was serviced or rebuilt. An original Dynaflow that was never out of a 50's Buick is almost certain to be covered with dirt and grime. You may be right about dried up seals, but that would most likely just be external seals. Is it still holding trans fluid? If so I would just replace the torque ball retainer seal and the front transmission seal. Both of which should not cost you the thousands for shipping and rebuilding, and potentially losing, that transmission.

Any chance of getting the engine to run so you can test the trans before deciding?

I tend to agree that it either doesn't need a rebuild or a fairly minor fresh up. They are not very happy getting towed and that's the main way to ruin them. When they are low on fluid, they won't go and they really are not quick enough to get ruined by a teen messing with the car.

The 5K is absolutely absurd, start with an oil change. The rear seal is a likely leaker. Then your old motor mounts will mess with the shift linkage. After all that, if you still have issues then I would first pull it apart and inspect it. If there are obvious problems like metal shavings and broken parts then drop back by

• 3 weeks later...

"they won't go and they really are not quick enough to get ruined by a teen messing with the car."

I would like to beg your pardon..... If you have a buddy who has a '53 Olds 98 Holiday you get really tired of not being able to keep up. So, put it in Neutral, rev it up tight, whip the shifter to Park. Darn, it only works a few times and then guess what.... And that's the end of my story of my first '53 Buick Super convertible.

Guest martylum

Hi Ceejay-I'm restoring a 53 Buick Roadmaster and had quite a problem with the original transmission. When we removed the transmission oil pan the fluid inside was black with powdered aluminum particles on the floor of the pan. The transmission rebuilder advised me to find another transmission as the oil had deteriorated due to poor maintenance causing so much wear on the moving parts they were trash.

I ended up buying a good used transmission from a rebuilder in Ohio and having the rebuilder do the rebuild job.

So before you spend money shipping your unit anywhere you might have a good mechanic in your area inspect the parts you have.

We bought a used transmission from a Buick club member who stated the fluid in his unit's pan was fine. When we received it was also black oil and the parts useless.

We are just getting the engine running and driveable so no report on the tranny yet but it does go into gear.

Martin Lum

53 Buick 70 series

• 3 years later...
On 9/7/2014 at 5:56 PM, Pete Phillips said:

I have a Dynaflow currently being rebuilt at a shop just north of Fort Worth, Texas that was recommended to me. It's a small shop in the suburb of Watauga, Texas, and the only two employees are a couple of older guys with gray hair who like old cars (a good sign!) and have done Dynaflows previously. I should have a report on this in another week or two when the transmission is done.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

1927 model 26-S

1948 model 56-S

1948 model 76-S

1949 model 51

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1958 model 49-R

1959 Electra 2-dr ht.

and others....

Pete, how did this transmission turn out and what was the name of the shop?  I’ve got a buddy in Ft Worth that needs a 56 dynaflow rebuilt 

Turned out fine. Trying to remember the name of the shop--was the man's first name, e.g. Carl's Transmissions, but Carl wasn't his name.  That was nearly four years ago and the car is no longer with me, so I don't have the receipt. Can't be more than one or two transmission shops in Watauga.

• Like 1

A google search for "Watauga transmissions" brings up 3 shops.

Was is :-

Big John's Transmission

5930 Plum St # 124 · +1 817-281-9230

• Like 1

Get the engine running.  Drop the pan and change the filter and fill with fresh fluid.  Then test it to see if it works. If it works and leaks, you can repair the leaks. If doesnt work, get a shop manual and follow the guide for troubleshooting.  

I used this guy for my 56 tranny.

Matt

FE6F80D0-E517-42B0-8A31-5FE0D9B999BB.png

• Like 1

On 9/7/2014 at 7:29 AM, tboldstuff said:

Midwest transmission in Milaca MN, he's been doing transmissions a long time and knows his older transmission. Hope this helps, he's done great work for me.

Second the referral. Bob treats me real well. If you need we can work together again! No need to send A core. I can deliver one to him saving shipping one way to you! Lemme know. GREG

• 3 months later...

Just stumbled upon a shop in California that specializes in rebuilding Dynaflows and other early transmissions. I just have a feeling that he is expensive. (Just my gut feeling). Since Dynaflow rebuilders are getting rare, I'm posting the name of the shop and website. The shop is located outside Bakersfield, California.

http://www.vintagetransmissionrebuilding.com/

Email:  rsylvis@sbcglobal.net

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, 51super said:

I have a 51 Buick super that will not go in reverse. Maybe the band is rotted? It was going in reverse about a year ago but had sat since.

May we assume you checked the trans fluid level? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Dynaflow transmission that has been stored in my dads shop for years. He had a 59 Invicta convertible that I believe it was rebuilt for years ago. It has a lot of dust on it from sitting for 10 plus years. He has Alzheimer’s and never finished the Invicta. I sold the convertible and a parts car years ago.  I only found transmission this weekend tucked away in the corner. I am looking to sell it. What Is the fair value price of one of these.  Any help would be greatly appreciated 

thanks

Duke

0611ED5C-46C3-4FCF-B1B0-8B0499E1E12F.jpeg

ABA6DE15-8C27-408E-9580-B2074A2D8C51.jpeg

Edited by Dukepol
Add photo change wording (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 7:20 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Turned out fine. Trying to remember the name of the shop--was the man's first name, e.g. Carl's Transmissions, but Carl wasn't his name.  That was nearly four years ago and the car is no longer with me, so I don't have the receipt. Can't be more than one or two transmission shops in Watauga.

Big Johns Transmissions