QUESTION how many 1921 buick touring cars were built

ford40

You will have to give us some more information as there were three open touring models for 21. A 21-49, 7 passenger model (6,429 for US and 366 for export); a 21-45 5 passenger touring (31,877 made); a two passenger 21-44 Roadster (7,236 for US and 56 for export). The model number is found on the panel in the engine compartment, passenger side.

Thanks it's a four door so I assume it a Model 49, 4 door, 7 passenger model (6,429 for US and 366 for export)

Any idea how much its worth it's got about 20k miles runs and stops but needs restored . its all there but no top,

all the bows are there in good shape always in a dry garage.wheels look great including the steering wheel.

The difference between the 7 and 5 passenger are the two jump seats in the rear passenger area, and a bit longer than the model 45. Does it have these jump seats? The 7 passenger model 49 is a bit more expensive as it is very rare. We would need lots of pics to give you some idea as to its estimated value. Your description indicates that it is probably a number 4 car (needs extensive restoration and mechanical work). Probably in the $8,000 to 12,000 range in my mind. You could add a couple of grand if it is a model 49. Again, this is just my initial reaction to your description.

Dave:

These are from a 1921 model 44 roadster to show what the drivers and engine compartment should look like. To redo the sockets, bows and a new top would be over $4,000. So factor that in to your decision. Missing parts take a lot of searching. But they are great road cars.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

Larry DiBarry

post-79073-143142710684_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142710674_thumb.jpg

From the very limited view of the engine, it looks like you have a model 45.

On the top of the rockers there is a small cup for each of the two cylinders/4 rockers. These must be filled with oil every 50 miles as the rockers are not fed by engine pressure. I use a pump style oil can filled with 30 wt oil for this.

Valve gaps are noted on the data plate, which is on the firewall.

Gives us more pics if you want more information.

Dave:

I have a partial 1921 Reference book if needed, and the Push rod clearance is to be .010 hot. Or as it states on page 23..."Best results may be obtained if the above adjustments are made while motor is idle and no one but an expert should attempt adjustment with motor running."

Did they accept your offer?

Larry

Dave:

I just looked closely at your photos. In our phone conversation you said that you thought they had the engine covers. I did not see the splash pan on the distributer

side. Any on the carb side? Check to see that they have all missing parts. The 1922-45 John Fesser and I worked on in Baltimore 2 years ago was sold with missing parts and without spares that the owner (at the time) said he had and would go with the car. I have a lot of pictures of that car if needed.

Larry

Well got car home It runs and the clutch works .

There is some history to the car . This is the first Buick that was sold in Ligonier Pa.

The story goes the a local farmer that lived hi on a hill said that he

would buy the first car that could make it up his hill.

The ford dealer tried but ran out of gas going forward and run out of traction going backwards.

the Buick dealer got his first car in and made it up the hill.

The farmer bought it and later traded it back in and the dealer never resold it.

So its the first Buick that was sold in Ligonier,Pa

post-48117-143142721148_thumb.jpg

post-48117-143142721155_thumb.jpg

ford40,

Seems like a very good "find". So you, essentially become the third owner, or possibly the 2nd as dealers may not count as "owners". As you seem new to Buicks, welcome to our forum section. You may not be aware the 2016 Buick National Meet is in Allentown. We hope to see you and the car there.

John

Thanks, I don't know if I'm up to this.

The Buick runs and drives but it needs two tires on the back I would like

to find a couple of used ones to get buy with .

I don't even know how to change them.

I never dealt with split rims before done pleanty of others though.

Ok I have the tire off the wheel and the tube patched .

I have the tire and wheel back together but not latched I cant seem to get it spread enough to latch it.

need some help here. what does the tool look like to do this od what do I use?

Go easy with it and use lots of talc/baby powder on the inner tube and inside the tire case. The spreader can create an egg shaped rim in about 45 seconds if you dont take it real easy and only just enough to get the rim edges to mate. Your wheel felloe should (still) be round and you can use is as a gauge to see how round the rim is when you go to put it back on the felloe.

Dave :

Brian speaks the truth! I just had 4 new tires put on my 1925 and thought I would try my spare and found that it was 5/8 of an inch out of round! So even if I had a flat and had to put on the spare there was no way it would go on. One of my rear tires was 3/8 out of round and the car had a decided hop. To remove it from the felloe I to drive and pry it off. Dave B from D.C. traded me 2 "rounder" rims for my old tires. I had the rims powder coated and now all roll along much nicer. But even with my rim spreader it was quite a chore to reinstall the tires. The new type flaps wore out my hands trying get all lined up and put together. I could not understand why, how easily it was to break down and remove the tire. The old Dunlop tires and tubes did not have a flap on the rim. They had used duct tape!

Larry

You can get a 9mm set from BOB"s Automoblia, (about $50) a Buick parts supplier or Restoration Supply both in California. I made up a 7mm set from a roll of Packard copper core wire. I wound the wire core around the terminal connectors and soldered to fit in the cap terminals. Cost about $5.00!