Headliner Repair

Guest BobFitz

The headliner is probably sagging due to the deterioration of the foam rubber that was glued to the plastic top and has now come loose and causing the headliner to sag. If the headliner itself still looks nice you are in good shape. The headliner is the expensive part to have to replace. I think you can do the repair yourself (based on things you have said in the forum) as it takes a can of 3M Spray Adhesive High Strength and about 2 yards of 1 inch foam rubber. If you need more help taking it apart let me know. Bob

Guest BobFitz

OK Bob. Thanks for the reply. That project may go to the bottom of the list. I intend to take the hard top off as cooler weather will be here soon- convertible weather!

Funny- guys up north take their top off for the summer and we take ours off for the winter. I love Texas..........

Edited by BobFitz (see edit history)

OK Bob. Thanks for the reply.That project may go to the bottom of the list. I intend to take the hard top off a cooler weather will be here soon- convertible weather!

Funny- guys up north take their top off for the summer and we take ours off for the winter. I love Texas..........

As a Minnesotan I have journeyed to the home of Rocky and Bullwinkle, doesn't get much cooler than Frostbite Falls and I don't have a hard top for my TC. Would be nice to have one to complete the car, but don't really need one. When it gets cold enough here that the convertible top can't keep your head warm they start salting the streets to melt the ice and rust the car so most good convertibles here hide in the garage until spring. Mine included.

As a Minnesotan I have journeyed to the home of Rocky and Bullwinkle, doesn't get much cooler than Frostbite Falls and I don't have a hard top for my TC. Would be nice to have one to complete the car, but don't really need one. When it gets cold enough here that the convertible top can't keep your head warm they start salting the streets to melt the ice and rust the car so most good convertibles here hide in the garage until spring. Mine included.

You need a summer TC and a winter TC like my wife! Don't beat me up though since the winter TC was a Chicago car disguised by a new paint job.

You need a summer TC and a winter TC like my wife! Don't beat me up though since the winter TC was a Chicago car disguised by a new paint job.

Up here we have big orange five yard dumpers fitted with mutant fertilizer spreaders that sling rock salt and sand twenty yards back from the open end of the chute. Get to close and the nose of your car gets sandblasted as it has salt rubbed into the sand pits. I've been in the panhandle in the winter and seen the way the roads are sanded in Texas, two guys with shovels tossing sand from the back of a pick-up can't even hope to rust a car the way we do up here. My winter car is a Dodge 4X4 and I paint the nose and rockers every spring.

• 2 months later...
The headliner is probably sagging due to the deterioration of the foam rubber that was glued to the plastic top and has now come loose and causing the headliner to sag. If the headliner itself still looks nice you are in good shape. The headliner is the expensive part to have to replace. I think you can do the repair yourself (based on things you have said in the forum) as it takes a can of 3M Spray Adhesive High Strength and about 2 yards of 1 inch foam rubber. If you need more help taking it apart let me know. Bob

I do need your help on how to take the headliner out. Thanks in advance. Mike