1930 combination brake light / reverse light question

tly410

I have a question regarding a 1930 combination brake light/reverse light/taillight assembly. When I apply the brakes, the brake (stop) light illuminates as it should, however the clear reverse light also is illuminated at the same time. If I have the transmission in reverse without any brake application, both the brake light (stop) and the reverse light come on. The taillight portion of the light seems to work properly, illuminating only the lower portion of the light assembly and it is uneffected by the brake or reverse light.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with the brake/reverse light function or is it normal to illuminate both? Are they on separate circuits or the same? I can't imagine them both being on the same circuit as it provides a white light to the rear when the brakes are applied and in my state (CA) that is illegal. I've checked the wiring diagrams and they show both the reverse light and brake light are operated by the same switch mounted on the transmission. The diagrams also show only two wires going to the light assembly. I would assume one is for the brake/reverse light and one for the taillight? Anyone out there familiar with how the lights are suppose to work?

Thanks for your input, Tim

Tim,

I believe there should be a diver in the housing to keep that from happen ?

Bud

I have a question regarding a 1930 combination brake light/reverse light/taillight assembly. When I apply the brakes, the brake (stop) light illuminates as it should, however the clear reverse light also is illuminated at the same time. If I have the transmission in reverse without any brake application, both the brake light (stop) and the reverse light come on. The taillight portion of the light seems to work properly, illuminating only the lower portion of the light assembly and it is uneffected by the brake or reverse light.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with the brake/reverse light function or is it normal to illuminate both? Are they on separate circuits or the same? I can't imagine them both being on the same circuit as it provides a white light to the rear when the brakes are applied and in my state (CA) that is illegal. I've checked the wiring diagrams and they show both the reverse light and brake light are operated by the same switch mounted on the transmission. The diagrams also show only two wires going to the light assembly. I would assume one is for the brake/reverse light and one for the taillight? Anyone out there familiar with how the lights are suppose to work?

Thanks for your input, Tim

Thanks Bud for the reply to my question. I am assuming you are referring to a "divider" or shield to block and separate light from the brake (stop) light lens from getting to the reverse light lens. I think you might be onto something. It makes sense. It would be nice to see the inside of one that works properly.

I think that is how it is supposed to be. My 28 is the same way. When you apply the brake the back up light comes on with the brake light. Both come on when in reverse too. You could add a wire and a separate switch for one or the other to separate them.

Dave

The divider plate isnt the answer. There is nothing to divide. There is only 1 bulb. If you do put in a divider plate, either the brake or backup light wont illuminate.

I found that light "feature" annoying too.

I, too, found out about leaving the car in reverse.

Thanks for all the input. Based on the replys to my question, I have to believe mine is working the way it was designed, just a poor design. I agree with the understanding that if a divider plate was installed, only one or the other would be illuminated, as there is only one bulb, one wire and one switch, to light both the brake and reverse lights.

Guest jules greenway

I also found this annoying on our '31 90 and was surprised to see it confirmed as correct by the wiring diagram

I solved it by fitting a divider and an extra bulb-there's just room for a festoon type bulb in there, and a seperate feed from the reverse light switch

sorry have not got a photo to hand at the moment but will take one and post it ASAP

cheers

Jules

Jules, thanks for your input. I would be interested to learn more about how you made and installed the divider, as well as how you managed to get another bulb inside the assembly. When you say you had a separate "feed" from the reverse light switch..... you lost me. Did you install a separate switch for the reverse light, totally independant from the brake light switch ? If you get a chance to post some pics, it would be a great help.

Tim

Guest outlaw car man

In 1933, anyway, 80-90 series, there is a switch on the tranny, where it activates when the shifter is put in reverse. Two bulbs. One stop and one reverse.

And yes, I've run the battery down too, leaving it in reverse. I would imagine this was a popular problem in the day. Oddly, the reverse lens is amber, not like today.

This may apply to your car.

The connection is an odd one too, I had to rebuild them.

OCM