1930 DB "DD-6" standard 3 1/8 bore rings

Guest vtwoodchuck

Guest vtwoodchuck

Help! I'm having a bear of a time finding a source for a complete set of rings for my engine. Spoke to Egge, Hastings, Deves, Dave Reed at Otto, and some others. Dave said, he only had an incomplete set of ".020". It's my understanding they are called " tungtite rings ". The two compression rings are identical and are "L" shaped. The top ring has one leg of the "L" pointing down, and the second ring has the leg pointing up, and meeting in the middle. It looks like one big 1/2" thick ring. Does anyone have any suggestions?

mike

I'm sorry guys, that is a description of what I learned to call a "step ring". Chrysler, Dodge, De Soto all used these in the 28-31/32 era. They unfortunately haven't been available for years. Could they be made- certainly at a great cost. Unfortunately this is piston and ring time. I had to do this with my 28 Chrysler. Good luck and maybe some day somebody will accomodate this ring for us.

Rob

Guest vtwoodchuck

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. Ron, I left a message with Tom/Cindy. Rob, not what I wanted to hear. This ring is also called a Dykes Type ring. I bought a reprint of the DB Master Parts List covering all models prior to 1934. I noticed that The DP and DQ also had the same bore, but different part numbers for the rings and piston. Does any one know if they will interchange with the DD ( wrist pin diameter, and pin to top of piston height), and might they be more readily available.

mike

Guest vtwoodchuck

Rob. Cindy got back to me, and said they didn't have what I needed. She called someone in Michigan and they indicated I might be able to convert my pistons to a different kind of ring, as you suggested. She gave me their number to discuss it further.

Thanks, mike

I have some unopened boxes of NOS rings from the 30's and 40's (Perfect Circle & Ramco). Shoot me a PM with specifics if interested in pursuing that route. I really do not want to break open any boxes that I have in stock but maybe we can locate some by sizes that are printed on the boxes I have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vtwoodchuck

Update on DD-6 piston rings.

Thanks Dave for your offer to look through your stock of NOS rings. I apologize for not replying sooner, been busy with The Bennington Car Show.

I sent my pistons to Dave Reed at OTTO ENGINE WORKS Inc., Elkton, MD. 410-398-7340. He is going to make a set to fit them.

mike

Update on DD-6 piston rings.

Thanks Dave for your offer to look through your stock of NOS rings. I apologize for not replying sooner, been busy with The Bennington Car Show.

I sent my pistons to Dave Reed at OTTO ENGINE WORKS Inc., Elkton, MD. 410-398-7340. He is going to make a set to fit them.

mike

No problem, glad you found someone who could help.