Tube type Radials???

airbrushguy

My friend bought a '36 Roadmaster that the former owner had installed Coker radial wide white tires(I think 670Rx15). The first day on the road he got two flats and later realized that the tires had tubes in them. On the outside of the tire it reads "Tube Type".

Just for the ride home from a service station, the mechanic had installed a tubeless stem, it made it home and held air well.

Do these tires have to have tubes and why?

Thanks

Edited by airbrushguy (see edit history)

We had 4 16r650 Bridgestone light truck tyres fitted to our '39 - also fitted tubes because of uncertainty about perfect wheel condition. Had a flat with one about 4 years ago. The tube had been damaged. Tube was removed and is running as tubeless. If your wheels are in good order, go tubeless.

To be on the safe side I would call Coker and talk to them. I was told (I have tube type and tubes on my radials for the Jaguar) that the tube provides additional sidewall support to the tire so it does not roll off the rim. Remember our rims were made for bias tires, not radials. Not a good thing if you are rounding a corner at speed.

Let us know what you find out.

The paper tag which becomes vulcanized inside the tire causes abrasion against the tube which squirms inside the tire, and the tube now has a new rub-spot from which the air can exit -

Ask me about three (3) FLATS ON NEW TIRES AND TUBES WITHIN 120 MILES.

Re-installed the tires without tubes and never had another problem !!