1950 Roadmaster Riviera 4dr Interior support / guidance

Guest YIWORK

I have just completed a project to make my dad's old Roadmaster roadworthy after 31 years of storage and now I am planning the interior refurbishment.

The car is all original with 70k and was stored inside so the interior is quite solid but I do need to address the front seat, rear carpet and front rubber.

QUESTIONS

1. Are there seat kits and carpet kits out there for my car?

2. If not, where can I find OEM materials for my trimmer?

3. I've heard the front rubber mat is not available as a reproduction part, is this true?

4. What process should we use to clean and preserve the existing solid interior upholstery (headliner, rear seat etc)

I'm new here so do not know how to add a picture yet but here are the numbers of the car.

STYLE 4719

BODY 3242

TRIM 79

PAINT 21

BLOCK 59604517

Thank you for any support

Greg

Greg,

With all due respect, if you're restoring an old Buick, you really need to join the Buick Club of America and get their magazine. It and its ads from parts suppliers will answer a lot of your questions. No, there is no seat kit nor carpet kit. You can sometimes get the original upholstery material from SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon. They have a website and can send you samples of what they have; best to cut a small piece of yours and send it to them for a match. Original Auto Interiors in Michigan might also have some fabric for your car. I use Auto-Mat Co., Inc. in Long Island City, NY for carpet. They will make it to fit your car, but they are not cheap. Others may be cheaper. You get what you pay for in carpet, I have found.

You need to get a parts catalogue from Bob's Automobilia and from CARS, Inc. I dont' think the rubber floor mats are available; I replaced mine with carpet which is less prone to trapping the moisture and rusting out the floors.

It's best not to touch the original headliner, if you want to save it. That;s my opinion, others may disagree. Use upholstery cleaner in a spray can to clean the cloth but don't use it on any leather. Best of luck--the 1950 Roadmaster is a great car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

1950 model 76-R

and other Buicks....

Thank you Pete.

I joined my local BCA Chapter last fall, have started Facebook pages for my chapter and for Buick Fireball Eights because I'm fond of the inlines.

I've also ordered from Bob's, Hagens and CARS to get the car on the road now but did not have any upholstery leads yet so thank you for that as well as the sage advice on the headliner etc.

Respectfully,

• 1 month later...

Have you found any decent carpet? I need carpet for my 1949 Roadmaster and don't like what I see at LeBarron Bonney. It is lower quality than factory. Does anyone know of another source for better carpet? To me it makes all the difference in a car's appeal.

Check with SMS Auto fabrics. http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

The original carpet was wool. None of the modern synthetics have the feel of genuine wool. From what I've seen of various online wool carpet color samples, the Wilton II wool type has the closest match to the original texture and weave. I haven't gotten any actual samples of it yet.

Here's a shot of the original carpet in my 49 super. This is taken from an area under the seatback when folded forward. It can be seen where it has faded at the edge from light exposure, but I think the darker area should be pretty close to the original color. I haven't been able to find a match for that salt and pepper gray color yet in this type of wool carpet.

post-97678-143142765317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wheelnut (see edit history)

Shoot SMS an email with the interior code and they will send a nice sample package of available fabrics for your car. The trunk fabric on my sample card is not correct. The did produce it this year. So be aware of what should be correct or if close is good enough> They also do door panels. They don't know interior paint colors which is my problem.

post-54093-143142765869_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143142765869_thumb.jpg