Classic Auto Air A6 Compessor...

Guest Im4darush

Guest Im4darush

I need to decide if I should have my original A6 rebuilt, or buy an A6 replacement that they have available. Off the shelf we are talking $327, and $399 plus 8 week turnaround if I would like mine rebuilt.

I spoke with them and the A6 replacement would be correct for the year but will not have any identifying stickers or anything like that. Aside from the 2 groove pulley, are there any reasons why I would want my original rebuilt? They can accommodate the 2 groove. I don't know if a 65 A6 on the riv has any particular unique attributes that would warrant a rebuild.

Cheaper and faster is better so if there is no real reason to pay more and wait 8 weeks, Id say that's the way to go. Now....if there is a good reason to have mine rebuilt, I will wait the 8 weeks and pay more if needed.

What do you guys think?

Like alternators, these have to be "clocked" to match your application. If not clocked correctly, the electric plug could be on either side, or top or bottom. If you get the replacement, have them tell you how to tell how yours is clocked now, so the replacement matches. Same if you get yours rebuilt. Needs to be clocked correctly so it can fit when returned. On some cars this isn't an issue. On the early Riviera it is. I will let others weigh in on the replacement versus new.

If you don't give a hoot about authenticity go with the new replacement. Not worth the hassle, money and time of a rebuild but ask a couple questions: 1. Is it brand new or a reman? 2. If new where is it manufactured? 3. What are the warranty differences? If the new compressors are built across the ocean, I would be hesitant. I'm sure CAA will stand behind it but labor to change a defective unit won't be covered and maybe or maybe not shipping. Compressors are heavy beasts and are expensive to ship.

The lead time should go down quite a bit on a rebuild if you can wait until January. The original compressors are also date coded so if yours is original the date code would coincide with the rest of car. Riviera owners by nature don't fuss over date codes but thought I'd mention it. Lastly one good thing about CAAs rebuilds are they are done in the US and are the only place I know of that rebuilds them here.

Many parts on these Buicks were over engineered and built at a time when cost was lower on the priority list vs todays highly competitive market. Sometimes an original part properly rebuilt will be better quality as well as offering original form fit and function vs a new unit built under strict cost guidelines to keep it competitively priced in the market.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

There are no new A6 compressors being made any more. You can buy a new Japanese compressor that is designed

to fit your existing brackets from Old Air Parts but it looks nothing like your original compressor. There is no need to rebuild

your compressor and wait the extra time versus buying one off the shelf unless your car is totally original and you just want to keep the original compressor that came on it for originality's sake. Be advised that remanufactured A-6's generally tend to sling oil out

the front seal and/or leak freon out the front seal, so be prepared to buy more than one before you get a good one.

Guest Im4darush

Thanks for that info guys. I live in tampa so shipping is not a variable as I will just walk in and pick it up. Originality is important to me so only a rebuilt A6 will do. As for the date code, this isn't a ncrs corvette so I think I can live with it. I believe CAA rebuilds all their own units and it would not be one of the cheap ones you can now get on ebay.

I just want to be sure I am not giving away a better original unit in exchange for something inferior.

I don't have the capacity to remember the year of the car for everyone who starts a thread, so I use my own. Here's what I found from Old Air Products for my '64.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/factory-replacement-parts/compressors-parts-c-2_10000_10008.html?Make=Buick&Model=Riviera&Year=1964

Part #21-3216-2 comes with a double pulley and is clocked at 2:00

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Im4darush

Interesting, my current is a double pulley and is clocked at 10. No such option on the site. By clocked I assume they are only talking about the location of the terminals. If the top of the compressor(where the sticker is) is 12, my terminals are definitely at 10.

I also wonder why these are sooo much cheaper than CAA.

If u look at the compressor from the other direction then it would be clocked at 2. I don't know how it works…just a comment

David

On alternators when you refer to clocking it is looking at the alternator from the rear. I would assume they are using

that method on identifying the clocking of the clutch plug on their compressors, which would mean that two o'clock would be correct for an early Riviera.

Guest Im4darush

If looking at it from the back, then yes it is 2. Did not know they look at it from the back.....Great Info!!!! Thanks!

I will call them and see if they rebuild in house and what parts are used. At $255 plus core, plus shipping these don't end up that much cheaper than the $327 here at CAA.