1971-1972 442 REAR bumper

Guest dwdawg

I'm looking for an original 1971/72 442 rear bumper WITH CUTOUTS ! A nice core, driver or a replated original, any of these will work. Not looking for any repops from Taiwan or anywhere else. Please call Dave @ 313-377-5089 or email me @ onlyme@comcast.net Thank You.

Edited by dwdawg (see edit history)

Yeah....The Classic Olds site is one of my daily rituals ! I kinda screwed up and did't jump on one that was for sale on there trying to save on shipping from NJ to Detroit....You snooze you lose : ( Oh well the search continues ! I've read the same about the repops that's why I'm trying to find an original. Although I have heard GOOD things about the repops from Tamraz I still prefer an original. I won't be ready for a bumper till the spring (HOPEFULLY!) so I have some time to find one, just trying to get my ducks in a row !

Thanks Guys !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave, thanks for the info on Chris...I'll give him a shout tomorrow. It's CRAZY these are harder to find than the 70 442 bumpers ! It seems before I bought my car and wasn't looking they were EVERYWHERE !! But now that I need one they've become an endangered species !

I just picked my car up this last June. While everyone else was probably at the homecoming in Lansing I was in Lake Orion gathering parts and loading my pick up (1st trip !) and my car trailer with my newly acquired 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible. WOO HOOO! FINALLY ! I answered an ad on Craigslist for a set of nos center caps for $110.00 back last year around September. The gentleman who had these for sale bought them back in the day and was cleaning out his shed preparing to move. We got along REALLY well (as MOST gear heads do !) and he told me if I'm REALLY into fixing these old cars up he has a friend who started a restoration on a 71 Cutlass convertible approx 30 years ago that he believes his friend was ready to sell and he could make a phone call if I was interested...I said to myself HELL YEAH HOLY CRAP !! ....I said to him...trying to control my excitement....Sure I'd like to see the car. (DUH !)

He made the call and we took a walk two blocks down and there it was under multiple tarps. The owner had bought it to restore as a graduation present for his then 15 year old daughter. She is now 42 years old with two of his grand children ! Life got in the way and he never got back to it. He wanted it gone before the snow flew last year but he never got all the parts together and once the snow started it didn't stop and it got snowed in pretty quick. Fast forward to this year...I kept in touch and we finally got the deal done. The frame has been blasted and painted with new brakes and lines, the complete drive train has been rebuilt (350/TH350) rebuilt four core radiator, the under carriage has been blasted and painted, core support blasted and painted, new convertible top, the Hood, doors, trunk lid and fenders are rust free from California already primed and blocked out. I was SPEECHLESS as he was telling me all this !! Couldn't BELIEVE I fell into this ! It's a bucket seat car column shift :confused: power window with a/c. Sorry bout the LONG winded story but...WOW My heads still spinning when I think about it ! Not QUITE a barn find being that it was tucked away in a climate controlled garage in Lake Orion all these years but probably is the closest I"LL ever come to a barn find ! I only have one picture on my lap top and for some reason it won't let me load the picture...I'll continue trying and hopefully I can get some on by weeks end.

Congrats on the find. In your search, be aware that ALL 1968-1971 "442" rear bumpers will have the dual exhaust cutouts. 1972 was the first year that the base 442 didn't come with a cutout bumper since 1967. This was due to the fact that in the 1972 model year, the 442 was demoted from a separate model to an option package on the Cutlass line. It was also the first time since 1964 that the base 442 was available with an engine smaller than 400 cu in. All 350-powered 1972 cars came with the non-cutout bumper. You might have more luck searching for a 1971-72 "Cutlass" rear bumper. Good luck.

Guest dwdawg

Hi Joe, Thank you for the GREAT information about the 442 bumpers. That pretty much explains why there aren't as many as those bumpers out there as I thought there should be. It seems I'm finding 7 or 8 1970 bumpers to every one 1971/72 bumper. I've been learning a lot about these cars since I've been lurking here and on Classic Oldsmobile....it's become an addiction ! I take my search as a challenge and I'm certain one will pop up that fits my liking eventually. I won't actually need one till (hopefully) the spring or summer when I get the car together so I have some time.

Thanks AGAIN !!