No ignition on 2 cyls.

Guest george1861

Guest george1861

Car suddenly started running crappy & the timing light shows 2 dead cyls. Both the middle ones on the coil pack. Know nothing about this type of modern system, but where it's both the middle ones seems probably the pack, but like I said, no knowledge on this. Did change plugs & wires a couple weeks ago & was running fine until this AM..

It is a 1990, I went and read his old posts. It was his second post.

Looks like a Ignition Control Module/Coil Pack. Many guys [myself included] have switched to the Delco. They can be bought new at;The Reatta Store, your local parts store, or a used one from a salvage yard. Just tell them you have a 1994 Pontiac Transport with the 3800 motor. [The 3100 ICM does not plug into our harness].

Guest george1861
Would you like us to guess what model your car is or would you like to just go ahead and tell us to save some time?
oops!
It is a 1990, I went and read his old posts. It was his second post.

Looks like a Ignition Control Module/Coil Pack. Many guys [myself included] have switched to the Delco. They can be bought new at;The Reatta Store, your local parts store, or a used one from a salvage yard. Just tell them you have a 1994 Pontiac Transport with the 3800 motor. [The 3100 ICM does not plug into our harness].

So this one is a direct bolt in, cool!

Guest george1861
I thought that if you went to the Delco unit that you also needed to get the Delco mounting base (that connects to the engine) as well. Is that true?

Apparently both styles was used according to the computer @ the store. yeah, mine is the 6 post style, so I ended up just getting another 6 post pack instead of the 2 post Delco style. i'll look @ how to do it tomorrow.

The Delco conversion requires the following:

-Mounting base with three square head bolts & nuts.

-ignition control module

-three coil packs and their six mounting screws

- Note: plugs need to be re-gapped.

Easiest way is to get all the above from a salvage yard car. Even if you need a new ICM and coils, you are still ahead of the game getting the other parts used.

I just bought the mounting bracket new from a dealer for my scrub 88 to do the conversion for $25; I already had the other needed parts. While the Magnavox ignition on there now works, I don't trust it long term. It is the only Mag setup I have left. Converted my other 88 shortly after purchase and my other two are 91's so had Delco to begin with.

FWIW, the Delco setup is better all around, it is stronger, more reliable, and the coil packs can be serviced individually versus as a complete unit.

Only downside for 88-90 owners is that it will be points off in judging, if that matters to you.

KDirk

Guest george1861

Magnavox style set up. Guess I'll look in junkyard for stuff, nessesary parts. In the mean time I put on a new coil pack. Ran great for 10-15 miles & back to 2 dead cyls + 2 are firing intermitantly. Guess I'll have to find a shop with a computer too look @ it.

Probably the module. They are internally potted in a compound that eventually breaks down and starts oozing out (the dreaded green slime) at which point the module overheats and malfunctions.

Not sure how the Delco module is internally potted (or if it even is) but have not seen one fail the same way yet, just another reason I dislike the Magnovox setup. That, and when the module leaks the green slime out it is a nasty mess to clean up.

KDirk

Guest george1861
The Delco conversion requires the following:

- Note: plugs need to be re-gapped.

KDirk

Different gap size?
Probably the module. They are internally potted in a compound that eventually breaks down and starts oozing out (the dreaded green slime) at which point the module overheats and malfunctions.

KDirk

Everything on the coil pack & module undernieth looked good, no oozing.