1924 Buick Opera Coupe

Guest SusanC

I just got my 'new" Buick back from the mechanics after a complete overhaul. She was stuck in a garage for a few years and is an early restoration. However, there were many things that needed to be 'fixed'. I'll outline them later in case anyone is interested. Suffice it to say, all went well. I had to have a part hand-tooled for the starter since finding that particular part would have been like looking for a needle amongst the hay! However, I am now on a quest to find the tools necessary to remove the wheels and tires. I understand from the genius who is my mechanic that this particular wheel requires special tools. So....

Anyway, here is a glimpse...post-88912-143142703929_thumb.jpgI'm still grinning. AND no, this doesn't belong to my husband, he doesn't like antique cars. She is all mine!

Congratulations Susan.looks like a 4 cyl.model,not very common model here in Sweden.The Tools you need is a rim tool,a wrech for the hub cap,a reference book as well as a moden Wheel "cross" that`s much easier to work with.You can find all those parts on E-Bay,sometimes quite cheap.But remember to ask about tool the sizes before buying.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-14314270393_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142703932_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142703942_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, and welcome to the PreWar Buick world.

Removing the wheel is very different than removing the tires. The rim tool shown in the photos above will help in removing the tires from the split rims. However, removing the rear wheels from the tapered axles usually requires a hub puller similar to the one below. You will need one that is the same size & threads to match your hub caps.

post-41092-143142704074_thumb.jpg

Susan. George McMurtry is the person to contact about a hub puller. Besides being the nicest guy you will ever meet, his work is incredible, and he has made one for a '24 Buick. He has made one for my '30 model 47 and my '22 touring. This is his website.

http://customhubpullers.com/

If you click on the hyperlink for "instructions" the procedure for removing the wheel is explained.

• 2 weeks later...
Susan. George McMurtry is the person to contact about a hub puller. Besides being the nicest guy you will ever meet, his work is incredible, and he has made one for a '24 Buick. He has made one for my '30 model 47 and my '22 touring. This is his website.

http://customhubpullers.com/

If you click on the hyperlink for "instructions" the procedure for removing the wheel is explained.

I second the comments on George. He does fantastic work. Highly recommend him.!!!