My "new" 1924 Buick Opera Coupe

Guest SusanC

post-88912-143142703927_thumb.jpgJust got my baby back from having it overhauled. Now it's time to buff and shine. Very sweet ride.

And no, it doesn't belong to my husband, he doesn't like antique cars. It belongs to me. I now have a '24 Buick, a '26 T and a '29 Model A!

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]267964[/ATTACH]4 cyl. Relatively rare I believe.....

This car had been sitting for some years in a garage. An elderly lady (not that I am not elderly) owned the car and I bought it from her estate. We had quite a check list of items to work on to get her running smoothly. I initially was able to start and drive the car but then had something 'break". It was not a simple fix. We found the distributor out of time with the engine and when we removed the distributor cap to check the points for spark we found the distributor rotating with just the ignition switch on. The timing pin in the water pump shaft was broken and the starter drive clutch was locked up and the clutch collar was broken. All had to be disassembled. No parts were available for the starter drive clutch. The clutch had to be sent to a starter builder in Michigan to be repaired. The distributor was frozen solid. BTW a new timing pin was made from a stainless steel 1/4 x 20 screw and self-locking bolt.

The water pump shaft that runs the distributor is worn beyond use on the back side of the water pump. So if anyone knows where I could find a new or used water pump please let me know.

The carburetor had to be repaired, most of the gaskets were crushed. etc.etc. The radiator had a hole it in so it was removed and cleaned and repaired.

Every lube pint in the entire car was dry so the whole thing was lubricated and all fluids replaced. BTW I'm also looking for a pivot bolt for the right front spring and a nut is missing on the left rear spring pivot bolt. The list goes on and on but altogether the car's foundation is really good. I believe she will run for a few more years.

Hope to see you out on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

The seams on the roof have pulled apart. I need to 'glue' them together until I can find a 'topper' to make a new top. I don't want moisture getting in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sikaflex 1A Apply with a caulking gun.

post-63449-143142739129_thumb.jpg

Designed for all types of joints where maximum depth of sealant will not exceed 1/2 in Excellent for small joints and fillets, windows, door frames, reglets and flashing Suitable for vertical and horizontal joints; readily placeable at 40 deg F Has many applications as an elastic adhesive between materials with dissimilar coefficients of expansion Submerged conditions, such as canal and reservoir joints Fast tack-free and final cure times High elasticity - cures to a tough, durable and flexible consistency Excellent adhesion - bonds to most construction materials without a primer Excellent resistance to aging, weathering Odorless, non-staining Paintable with water, oil and rubber-based paints 1a is a class 35 sealant with +/-35% movement USDA-approved, Sealant, Waterproofing and Restoration Institute (SWRI) validated 1-part, non-sag, polyurethane elastomeric sealant/adhesive

Sikaflex-1a is a premium-grade, high-performance, moisture-cured, polyurethane-based sealant Meets Federal specification TT-S-00230C, Type II, Class A Meets ASTM C-920, Type S, Grade NS, Class 25, use T, NT, O, M, G, I; Canadian standard CAN/CGSB 19.13-M87

Designed for all types of joints where maximum depth of sealant will not exceed 1/2 in Excellent for small joints and fillets, windows, door frames, reglets and flashing Suitable for vertical and horizontal joints; readily placeable at 40 deg F Has many applications as an elastic adhesive between materials with dissimilar coefficients of expansion Submerged conditions, such as canal and reservoir joints Fast tack-free and final cure times High elasticity - cures to a tough, durable and flexible consistency Excellent adhesion - bonds to most construction materials without a primer Excellent resistance to aging, weathering Odorless, non-staining Paintable with water, oil and rubber-based paints 1a is a class 35 sealant with +/-35% movement USDA-approved, Sealant, Waterproofing and Restoration Institute (SWRI) validated

It is recommended in a MTFC video

I used it in the construction of a new design roof insert. I worked extremely well. I have used it in the roofing industry with superior results.

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/new-roof-insert-complete-359066.html

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)