GENERATOR CONVERSION

trini

Thank you Jack .I bought this car with a rebuilt engine, starter and generator . The engine runs beautiful but the B.B.1 stills needs a bit of tweaking which is not a problem. The engine has less than 1 hour running time. regardless of speed the generator output was 20 amps until it died. Another fuse did not help. That is a sign of a ground in the field . I took the generator out and realised the wire to the back of the cut out was taped and still grounding on the frame. Also the inside tab of the fuse spring was grounding to the frame. There supposed to be sort of special insulator for the screw . The purpose is to sand witch insulate the fuse tab gadget with the screw passing through without grounding the tab. How ever there is evidence the incorrect and ill fitting insulator assembly was used. The fuse tab was still grounding. That was the work of a professional rebuilder. The thumb screw section supposed to ground. The 5 amp fuse is the safety valve. If you want to check the output of your generator while the engine is running just ground the field. WHO SELLS THESE SPECIAL INSULATORS ? It appears the complete generator is fried. 6 volt alternators are available from the Filling Station

Unfortunately, not all "Rebuilders" are professional rebuilders as you're seeing. I'd be happy to help you by rebuilding your generator correctly, but if you're strictly going at it from a budget standpoint, you'd be better to go with an alternator. If you're interested in keeping it original, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

-Jason

Thank you Jason , this generator is run by the timing chain. It is not impossible to replace with an alternator but there must be some sort of adapter between the alternator and the timing case and also have to consider the drive attachment. At present I am involved in other aspects of the restoration so I cannot spare the resources. By the end of October I will contact you. This unit still has the 85 years old wiring. Cheers and have a nice day.

Harry

I explored the possibility of replacing the generator with an alternator. I will have to make a pulley to fit the existing crankshaft pulley, block the generator opening with a plate and rig up brackets to mount the alternator. After all that work and cost the alternator will prevent the bonnet from closing unless the alternator is tiny. I am between a rock and a hard place. I have no choice but to go the rebuild route.

Harry

It might not be as expensive as you think. I just had a generator rebuilt that had a ground fault. They replaced the rotor, installed new bushings, sandblasted and painted the ends, and tested it for $95. I was very pleased. It's a local guy who has been doing it for 57 years and is now partially retired. That's the kind of guy you need to find. I bet fixing it properly won't be as expensive or challenging as rigging up some modern replacement.

Thank you Matt, it is going to the rebuilder aerrebuild .com. The amateur windings are fried and so is the field coil. The drive end bearing is shot . The end plate has cracks but may still be usable. The bushing over the driven end of the shaft has to be removed in order to get the bearing out, may be machined down and remake a new one. Lots of work.