32 Franklin Wheel Cylinder pins

Guest Chuck Gibney

Guest Chuck Gibney

I am overhauling the brakes on my 32 Franklin. It had sat for 7 or 8 years without being run, and the wheel and master cylinder were full of rust. I overhauled the master cylinder, and resleeved it. I replaced the front cylinders with new F1430, and the rears with new F695 cylinders. Now when I try to fit the brake drums, I find the wheel cylinders are holding the brake shoes open more than the old cylinders. I released pressure from the brake lines to make sure it wasn't fluid pressure. I loosened up the adjustments top and bottom and they are not causing the problem. The pistons in the wheel cylinders are slightly longer than the old pistons. The brake lining is thick, and it appears the larger pistons keep the shoes apart too much. I only need about 1/8" more clearance (1/16" per shoe.) I am considering grinding 1/16" off each of the pins that fits between the brake shoe and the cylinder piston. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a good idea to fix it?

Thank you, Chuck Gibney

Guest Chuck Gibney

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a great idea, better than grinding. I'm glad to see someone else had a similar problem.

Chuck

Guest Chuck Gibney

Absolutely, Mike. I worked on this for hours before I figured out the pistons in the wheel cylinders were slightly longer than the earlier versions. What is surprising is that when the shoes are at rest, there is almost no clearance between the shoes and the drums.I would have thought the pistons in the cylinders would be spread open a bit when the shoes are resting against the adjusters, and then open more when actuated. But, the design seems to have the pistons completely collapsed into the cylinder.

Chuck