early fifties Old Ivory paint

Guest GaWajn

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone has a modern paint code for the early fifties Buick ''OLD IVORY'' color. I have generally had very little success trying to get a modern paint matched with the older paint codes ... in my neck of the woods anyways (Canada). I do not have access to a painted original part, to try and have it photo matched that way.

This color was used from 1949 to 1951 ... based on my preliminary searching ... so I was hoping that someone out there in the Buick community has already had this color reformulated into a modern paint. Or is there a modern paint which is a very close match to the original? I will be painting the car (1952 Pontiac) with this yellow ... or something very similar (early fifties). Non of the Pontiac yellows of that era will do for me. They are not near as beautiful as the Buick ones ... or the 53 Cadillac.

Another possibility is the 1953 Buick ''OSAGE CREAM''.

Thank you

Stephen

Edited by GaWajn (see edit history)

Some words …. If you are finding yourself cuddling up to a 50's era paint chip from back in the day etc, please remember these paints were the true acrylic lacquer paints. They as a Class of paint type have their own distinctive hue, tone and depth of color saturation these being the most important contributors to any given paint type. Today, even a near duplication of this paint becomes difficult due to different toners being used in the paint referred to today as acrylic lacquer which today is acetone based and not true lacquer based. TCP has their Shop Line and PPG has their line. You can go look for and acquire a nice good condition NOS paint chip from the particular year and model you find attractive and have them attempt to color match it. I went that route with them 4-years ago and after 3 attempts they gave up. The paint was about 60% correct but tell off from the chip and also an original well preserved part I provided to them with good original paint on the piece. In the end, I had to buy toners from them, particularly white and took it from there to attempt a close color match. If you stray away from this particular type of paint, i.e., single stage acrylic enamel, or single stage acrylic urethane or god forbid a 2 stage base coat / clear coat system the ability to match your original paint tone, hue and saturation goes from close way out into left field.

There are methods to use when attempting to replicated an original true acrylic lacquer paint system. Some guys use an acrylic urethane and reduce the last coat substantially and apply 3 or 4 coats with color sanding of each coat and after the last coat in an attempt to try and dial in for a near close color match. Acrylic enamel is too difficult to attempt this with and just does not have the same look and rich depth in the end as the acrylic lacquers did.

Edit: Go to this link and sit back and start reading about how this restorer has over the years dealt with the very same issues of which you are facing and I have mentioned above. Read the tag lines and read in particular the ones having anything to do with painting a car. You will be enlightened. Good luck.

http://www.southernwheels.com/archives.htm

Edited by buick man (see edit history)