detail question during tours

tcslr

What do folks use or recommend to do a parking lot detailing at the end of each tour day? Our cars are drivers but I do like them to look half-way decent... someone recommended windex? how is that on wax?

thanks. tom

I never clean my cars during long tours. I kind of like the accumulated dirt and wear they acquire. It tells the tale of the day's experience-the torrential rain storm, the mud, or the dry and dusty dirt roads that the car persisted through.Last summer, I attended a two week tour and it was probably one of the most fun tours I had attended in my nearly 30 years of driving brass cars. I couldn't clean the car for nearly a month because every time I looked at it, it reminded me of how much fun I had and brought back memories.

I never clean my cars during long tours, it reminded me of how much fun I had and brought back memories.

I agree, there is to much fun to be had other than polishing during the non driving protion of the tours. Just open you hood and check the fluids and it will attract a bunch of other car folks. If you are not into the other activities offered, the BS flows in the parking lot, that's fun too. Some guys get their kicks helping those who had trouble during the day and need help at night. That's fun too!

Plenty of time to detail when you get home, or before the next tour.

BS = Best Stories

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Added definition (see edit history)

I try to get at least one evening dedicated to cleaning things up, maybe even polishing some brass, making some transmission band adjustments, tightening things down, etc. Cleaning day is a social occasion all by itself. Those parking lot evenings are priceless. Back to the original question - I love hotels with wastebins made entirely of one piece plastic. Makes a nice wash bucket! I supply my own chemicals and don't use hotel towels, but I do like the Speed Shine that Griot's Garage sells. It's even available at Advance Auto Parts. I've got some matte finish rubber spray by Mcguires that makes tires look great. My favorite brass polish is Semichrome. Save the Windex for the windows. I know of at least one car guy who uses Pledge furniture polish. When I asked him if he preferred "lemon Pledge" he nearly threw the can at me!

Despite that one evening of cleaning it still took me a whole weekend to get the T spruced up again after the Reliability Tour. Next outing is our own regional show "Wings and Wheels" at the Virginia Beach Aviation Museum. It's also the site of our 2015 AACA National Meet - you'll love it!

Terry