Will a 14-inch rim with a 5x5 bolt pattern fit both GM and Ford?

starfireelvis

Have a friend who had a '63 Lincoln Continental Sedan who needs a complete set of 14-inch rims. I believe they are 7 inches in width. I measured the spare tire rim with a bolt pattern template, and it is a 5 x 5.

My '62 Olds Starfire Coupe (with air conditioning) also features a 5 x 5 bolt pattern. Just so happens I have a complete spare set of rims for it. Both the Continental and the Starfire call for a 9.00 x 14 tire with a one-inch whitewall (235/75/14 radial equivalent).

Can an the rims I have that fit the Olds be used on the Lincoln? Let me know, and thanks!!

Mike

Hollander Interchange does not show those wheels as interchanging even though they are both 14x6 with a 5x5 bolt pattern. The difference could be in the size of the center hole or the rim where the hub caps mount. Have your friend contact Lincoln Land in Clearwater, FL.

Hollander Interchange does not show those wheels as interchanging even though they are both 14x6 with a 5x5 bolt pattern. The difference could be in the size of the center hole or the rim where the hub caps mount. Have your friend contact Lincoln Land in Clearwater, FL.

You are correct in noting that the center hole diameter is just as important as the bolt pattern, however I'll also note that Hollanders is not always comprehensive. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this interchange, but I do know that my Hollanders only shows Oldsmobile disk brake front spindles as interchanging on the 1970-72 Cutlass with disk brakes. From first-hand experience I can tell you that other A-body disk brake spindles fit just fine on Cutlii. I guess the bottom line is that Hollanders is overly conservative and only lists interchanges that they have proven themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the answer. Yes, the rims I have fit just fine. Problem is, the outer lip of the rim is too shallow to allow for the Lincoln hubcap to be pounded on securely.

While I imagine that there may well be ways to improvise in resolving this issue, I have since located a set of rims from a '62 Lincoln, that will do the trick.

Thanks to all who took the time to help out!

See you at Fall Hershey (good Lord willing) with my Starfire!