Mystery part.

jonlabree

Used to reduce the voltage to the attached load. Either used for low speed on the cooling fan, or for reduced brightness headlamps for DRL use in many cars.

Is this perhaps the one that reduces the brightness of the 890 lamp in the cornering lamp assembly when the turn signal is not active? Never looked too closely at this before as I've never had a problem requiring me to check it. I don't think the Reatta used these for low fan speed, at least not in 88.

KDirk

Easy way is to unplug and see what stops working. The old timey reason for a ballast resistor was to use a 6v ignition system on a 12v car. The "R" terminal on the solenoid provided full power to the ignition when cranking and the battery was loaded down. Then when the car started the ballast resistor would be in the circuit to prove 6v to the ignition when running.

My 88 has one on the puller fan but was the only year that had.

Being in the front, I'd go with the DRL, did the car come from Canada ? I've had a number of headlights out and do not recall seeing one.

That "U" shaped resistor is for the front turn signal (890 halogen) bulbs

With the parking lights ON power to the turn signal goes thru the resistor and allows the halogen bulb to "Glow" at the same intensity as the 194A bulbs.

When you turn on the turn signal, power is sent directly to the halogen bulb and it flashes at full intensity.