1948 Chrysler Royal 3 passenger Business Coupe Production # question

Guest Jeepmoparfan86

Guest Jeepmoparfan86

Hi I have a question for Bill Watson, Bob, and/or Rusty O'Toole or anyone else knowledgeable on the subject. I am looking at purchasing a 1948 Chrysler Royal Business coupe. How rare is the Royal business coupe? Any idea how many were originally produced? Also, what is one worth in non running condition, needing total restoration, but 99% complete and pretty solid body except for the floor. Thanks for any info, Carl

1221 of the cheaper line six cylinder Royal 3 pass cpe's were built from 1946-8. It's a rare car for sure and very desirable now days.

Selling prices are all over the board.

Floor stamping panels are the same from 2drs, 4 door ect. Trunk floor pan area is different.

A quality restoration will cost $$$!

Have done one Windsor and involved in a NewYorker 3 Cpe currently.

Bob

Without pictures it is very hard but if it is really solid and 100% complete then my guess is around 3 or 4k. Running and driving 5 or 6k (but I guess this one isn't). You will see a couple of these sell every year but rarely do you see a restored one.]

**Standard disclaimer that you will be underwater the second you start restoring it.

Guest Jeepmoparfan86

Thanks to all of you who provided information. The car I'm looking at is priced at 2,200 which I thought was a pretty good deal since it is pretty solid and only missing a rocker trim. Will any rocker trim from the 6 cylinder 46-48 Chryslers fit this Royal business coupe or is the trim specific to the business coupe? Anyone know? Thanks again! Carl

Any 1946-48 Chrysler Royal or Windsor 121-1/2" WB two or four door rocker trim will fit your 3 passenger coupe.

Eight cylinder and eight passenger sedans are all a longer wheel base and will not fit.

Great purchase price on your car...good going!!!

Bob

Bob, I thought that the bodys were the same length and the front fenders and hood were different. Also the chassis.

Unless the rocker trim runs all the way thru the front fenders, which I guess it could.

I would be interested in knowing this as I am going into a project that puts a Royal body on a NY chassis with NY front tin.

46 coupe body and a 48 chassis and front tin. I hope I am thinking correctly.

Hi jack..

The bodys on the six and eight cyl cars are the same length. The frames and front fenders are longer on the 8's. It's the lower rear portion on the front fender of the eight sedan and eight cylinder cars thats longer and requires the longer sill moulding.

Grille and wrap arounds are the same on all cars except some early to late Crown Imperials.

It's a common easy body swap from a six to eight cylinder chassis. You will have no problems!

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. Slow progress but I will get er done eventually. I will have to see if I in fact have the rocker mouldings.

I swapped into a NY sedan that has had the front suspension modified to a Mustang II and outfitted to accept a 383 with a 727 that came with it. I plan on a 392 Hemi with a four speed that I have been assembling. This should mate up well with the three window coupe rolling hulk that I found a few years ago that is mostly apart.

So I have two rollers that are stuffed with parts, I am hoping that I have enough parts stashed to make this work.

Fun stuff,

Hello Bob,

I went to look at that one e few years ago, I think that you sent me Jim's info,

I was going to buy that one but didn't have enough cash in my pocket that day. That one went to California soon after so I missed out on it. It was in pretty good shape with only one rusted area that was not visible unless one was to climb under the car. I don't know why it rusted there but could have been that a battery had been left in the back and maybe leaked thru the floor behind the seat. Although there was no trace of it on the top side. I guess it could have been some acid spill or maybe grass growing up into the lower part of the body. Any way I was disappointed that I didn't get that one. It was pretty nice.

It had a steering system that I didn't like very well, and had some air bags on it that would have saved some money if I choose to go that way.

This 46 that I have I found in the Fresno CA area. It has had some amateur body customizing that never got finished that I plan on doing away with and a small amount of rust. But it is what it is.

Funny thing, the guy that I bought it from called me a year or so after the deal and offered me the one that Jim had. Jim told me that he sold it and his New Yorker to some guy that worked for the rail road and was never home.

The seller had a finished convertible with a SBC in it. I didn't like his engine choice but the car is beautiful.

The NY that I found has a Mustang II grafted into it which is not my first choice for suspension. I have a C-4 Corvette front setup here that I may replace that with. However, if the MII is in there correctly I may leave well enough alone.

After several years of collecting parts I hope to get going on this project this winter.

Speaking of Jim, I rarely talk with him but he forwards me some pretty radical emails. Maybe you are on his list as well.

Cheers, Jack

Jack,

You got me right back on course as to what happened to Jim's cars. He moved to Tri--Cities last year and I just saw him at JC Auto Restorations in Lynnwood a couple weeks ago!

Yep... the emails are... well...we know how he feels about things!!!!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeepmoparfan86

Hi Dave I saw your reply that you are parting out a 48 Windsor sedan. Does it have a good passenger side rocker trim you'd sell? If so what would you want out of it. Thanks, Carl