Reproduction Hupmobile Hubcap 1909-1913 Model 20

Guest ssellar

Guest ssellar

I have made some reproduction Hupmobile Hubcaps to suit 1909-1913 Model 20.

They are made from solid brass with an internal steel spring washer.

It is an accurate reproduction of the original part, using precision CNC machinery.

1 3/4" octagon A/F and 2 1/2" outside diameter. Thread 2 1/8" x 16UN.

The price for 1 hubcap and spring washer - AU$125 + delivery.

Location - Australia

Contact me if you are interested

post-102746-143142698336_thumb.jpg

post-102746-143142698343_thumb.jpg

post-102746-143142698349_thumb.jpg

post-102746-143142698354_thumb.jpg

post-102746-143142698362_thumb.jpg

Edited by ssellar (see edit history)

Guest ssellar
Very nice...I have a nice set on my car or I'd sure be thinking about it....didn't realize they get a spring washer, is that original?

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I believe the spring washers are original. They sit in the recess behind the internal thread. They help prevent the hubcaps rattling off due to vibration etc.

All hubcaps have right hand threads hence the R/H side is more prone to coming off than the L/H side.

You can buy the spring washers separately, they are AU$15 each or AU$50 for a set of 4 plus postage, if anyone is interested.

What a beautiful job you have done. Congratulations. Like David I have a good set ,wish I needed them.

My parts book does call for lock washers but only on the rear wheels.

I have often wondered how they were made back in the day. The dome portion looks to have been a stamping (?) and the "skirt" portion spun ?

Nice work, would love to see a photo of one on the wheel .

Ken

Guest ssellar

Ken, Thanks for your comments and info regarding rear wheels spring washer. After studying the original component in detail I'd have to agree with your thoughts on the processes used originally.

Glad you like my work. It makes it all worthwhile after getting positive comments like yours. Cheers

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Edgar Bowen

Hi these are beautiful reproductions but you got the dating wrong. The brass hub caps were introduced in 1911 for the Model C runabout and other current models. In 1909 and 1910 the hub caps were aluminium and of different shape. They were fitted to Model A and B runabouts and other current models of those years.

Edgar

Bill Cuthbert's book , The Hupmobile Story from beginning to end explains the hubcaps for the model 20 on page 23. For those of you are fortunate enough to have such a great book. but do not buy the 1 on ebay for $ 475. 00. I sent the guy an email and told him I bought 1 for $50 and he never got back to me.

Guest ssellar

Thanks for the info Edgar. Always open to hear from someone who knows more than I do!

I have a copy of the original drawing for the aluminium hubcaps but wasn't sure what model(s) it belonged to.

They say " you learn something new everyday"

Cheers

Stephen