Proposed Change Page Numbering of Next Judging Guidelines (2016?)

Guest Mark McAlpine

Guest Mark McAlpine

The page numbering was changed in the 2014 Judging Guidelines to restart with each section. This was a good idea, but without section prefixes it's very difficult to find something easily in the Guidelines. (For example, if you're looking for info on judging team captains, you'll find the Position Description of Team Captain on Pg 13 of Section 2, but you'll also find a Pg 13 in Sections 1, 3 and 4. You can't quickly thumb to the page your looking for if it's not in Section 1 immediately after the table of contents.

I recommend in the next update of the Judging Guidelines (which I think will be the 2016 edition since publication is on a two-year schedule now) that page numbers be preceded by the Section Number, so in my example above you would find the Position Description of Team Captain on Pg 2-13. Thanks for your consideration. What do others think?

Mark McAlpine,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Excellent first post!

I agree that the current page number system should be changed. Either eliminate the new page number system and go back to the old method, or else they need a Section prefix, either a number or letter, to make it easier to find things in the manual. If they continue with restarting the page numbers in each section it would also be nice to have dividers between the sections too.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks, Steve! I still recommend adding the Section Number to the page numbers if it's not too much trouble--most tech manuals are numbered that way (and it would make it "McAlpine proof"--hard to screw up looking up things). Thank you and all of the national HQ for your work on maintaining and updating the Judging Guidelines. It's a lot of work and a thankless job, but very important to the club. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help as you review the guidelines for the next edition.

I agree with Mark.

One of my jobs while I was in the US Air Force and Air National Guard for 32 years was technical writing and I must say the current numbering system is very confusing. Page numbers are repeated numerous times though out the booklet and the only way to know which section you are in is to first find page 1 in each section.

Publications should either have a numbering system that starts at 1 and ends with the last page or a section numbering system that shows the section on each page.

Another option would be to label the sections with letters on each page and the individual pages within a section using numbers. A few examples of page numbers would be A-1, A-2, A-3, B-5, G-7, etc. This makes it easier to first find the section since the letter it is marked on each page and then the dashed page number within the section.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi