Insulation sombreros

Earl B.

The front rod that hooks onto the hood ornament, each end has a O on each end to hold the sombrero.

The back rod, each end hooks into the hood.... Where do the sombreros go on that rod... it's just a long curve.

The parts car had them only on the front rod.....

Mike, thanks for the help.

3 1/2 OD for anybody else who wants to try:

null_zpsb0e13ff2.jpg

Seems like something that could be made out of a light metal metal like copper?

Yes I know that's not original but paint it and it would look fine....wonder why they made them of cardboard or what ever you wish to call it........couldn't have cost much more for a better material

The 1956 used layered Masonite riveted together. Maybe late 55's did too. I know I have the riveted version on my 55, because I couldn't find enough good ones when I was restoring the car.

That would be an easy thing for Bhigdog to do.

R U sure rivited masonite is correct? That doesn't sound like something a car company would do. Way easier/better/cheaper ways for them to skin that cat. I'll press on with the pressed paper version, as lame as they are. Pretty sure I have the tooling/dies figured out in my head. I'll most likely spend a week and end up making a few sets. I had a guy who GAVE me some unobtainium Chrysler tail lite lenses ask if I had any 56 Chrysler windshield trim clips he desperately needed. Pretty complicated clip, also unobtainium. I spent a full week making the tooling and making 12 of them for him. Good Karma all around...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

LOL.. Was cleaning out my shed today in prep for removal pending the new shed, and found my spare pair, just where I left them, on the underside of my spare hood. And discovered that the center bracket on the front rod is not attached to the hood ornament after all. It is attached separately to the hood such that the bolt head is hidden under the body of the jet hood ornament. It really pays to leave as much stuff together as possible, for a future model of how it was assembled.