Oil pan removal

johnemac

All of the tutorials on removing the oil pan do not mention the bolt under the oil filter housing. I took my time with an open end wrench turning the bolt in 2 degree increments. Do others actually pull the filter mount? Tutorials also talk about removing the starter motor which I did not have to. I also took Ronnies advise and got the premium Felpro rigid gasket vs the silicone one.

I just did my 91 'vert and had no problem except having to remove the plastic flywheel guard which gave me some grief getting it free. Now, the 91 engine is slightly different but I don't remember my first 88 being particularly difficult when I did it. Bolts between the flywheel and that end of the pan requires an extension and deep well sockets but not tough to do otherwise. Good call on the fel-pro gaskets. Only ones I'll use, all others need not apply.

KDirk

You might consider changing the oil filter adaptor (since you have it off). 88-90 Reattas have an adaptor that only allows the use of the "short" oil filter. The adaptor was changed in '91 ... that adaptor allows the use of a "long" filter but it is a terrible design, hard to get to and oil can accumulate when the filter is changed and attract dust and dirt. At some point in '91 production a third adaptor is used, it is easy to change the filter and a long filter can be used.

A "long" (4 7/16) filter is about 30% longer than a "short" (3 3/8) filter....this gives more filter surface and that is worth something. The good news...the 3rd design adaptor is used on many 3800 engines starting sometime in 91 and continuing until the 3800 went out of production. The attached photos show, the difference in filters, the late '91adaptor, the last photo is an adaptor from a 3800 Impala police car with engine oil cooler fittings.

For reference here are some of the part numbers, SHORT filters AC = PF47, Fram = 3387A or 3354, Purolator L10111, Wix 51040. LONG filters AC = PF52, Fram =3980 , Purolator L204011, Wix 51036

post-30596-143142698456_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142698478_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142698483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

So Barney, I went to one of my local u-pulls today and found a bunch of cars w/3800 engines. Are any oil filter adapters from these models better than another?

1996, 1998 Riviera

1995, 1998, 1999 Le Sabre

1999 Grand Prix

1991, 1992, 1998 Park Ave

They also just got in a 2000 Regal GS w/3800 series II supercharged engine. Very impressive under the hood hardware.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I replaced the oil pan gasket on my 90 and was surprised to learn that there were two different starters put on the Reatta. (Well, at least on the 90's) It turns out that my 90 has the much less common smaller starter. As I recall, it made oil pan removal easier. Kit

Stanley, I don't know if there are any differences after late 1991 except the one that has the oil cooler fittings. I posted the photo so you could see the shape.

If I were guessing, the LeSabre, Park Ave, GP and Riviera probably have the same late design. I will look for a part/casting number for reference.