'56 Roadmaster: Seeking help regarding hood insulator pad install

Guest HMiller

Guest HMiller

Hello all. Winding up the resto of my uncle's 1956 Roadmaster convertible and we're having some trouble figuring out the installation of the hood insulator pad. When we started, the car didn't have the hood insulation and we have no reference to work from.

We've two rods, one shorter than the other and some sombrero type retainers. Now, we just need to figure our how to mount the rods to support the pad. I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody can offer insight or any photos that would illustrate this installation. Thank you!

One rod in front, one in the rear, sombreros at the ends of each rod. Should be a small bracket in conjunction with the base of the hood ornament with a partial loop on the end, to hold the front rod. Here's a 1954 Special hood that I have sitting in my shop--56 is similar.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143142697571_thumb.jpg

post-32059-14314269758_thumb.jpg

Guest HMiller

Thank you Pete! We may have to fabricate those brackets but will shop around and hope to get lucky. Have a great holiday weekend.

Just shot some pictures of my 56 Super's installation. This is still the original pad as far as I know, and it's a bit different than the 54 hood.

The short rod goes to the front of the hood and the bracket is attached to the underside of the hood without integration of the hood ornament. I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow but for now see below

post-31834-143142699076_thumb.jpg

The long bar does not use the "sombreros". The long bar on the cowl side of the hood is attached by two brackets to the center of the hood and spring into clips attached to the hinges. Again, see the pictures below:

post-31834-143142699091_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142699072_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142699087_thumb.jpg

Just shot some pictures of my 56 Super's installation. This is still the original pad as far as I know, and it's a bit different than the 54 hood.

The short rod goes to the front of the hood and the bracket is attached to the underside of the hood without integration of the hood ornament. I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow but for now see below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]267274[/ATTACH]

The long bar does not use the "sombreros". The long bar on the cowl side of the hood is attached by two brackets to the center of the hood and spring into clips attached to the hinges. Again, see the pictures below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]267277[/ATTACH]

My '55 Roadmaster under hood looks very similar (the same) as yours

Guest HMiller

JohnD1956, thanks much for the info. It is extremely helpful and I did catch it before attempting the other setup. Sorry bhambulldog, no Alabama roots that I know of :)