AACA Sentimental Tour

Dynaflash8

Well, we came back to Florida from Virginia to get our blue 1939 Buick Special sedan and take it north for the AACA Sentimental Tour. We leave out of here Tuesday and get to Virginia Wednesday with Suzybelle in the trailer. On Saturday we'll join Wayne and Gloria Burgess and head up Route 301 to I-95 in Delaware and then on to Portsmouth, NH.

I dread pulling the trailer up through New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts and back. I've pulled it all over the country, but up through there scares me some. I expect traffic to end all traffic, making D.C. look like child's play. I guess you can tell I've never been to New England....well one time to a National Meet in Maine, back around 1994-1996. But, Wayne knows the road, and with him as Wagon Master I guess Judy and I will be okay.

We are looking forward to driving the old Buick around New Hampshire, Maine and Mass. I would have taken the convertible sedan this time, but I was afraid of freezing to death.....you know, thin blood from living in Florida. :)

Hope to see many of my Sentimental Tour friends in Portsmouth, NH. If we get there, we will still have been to all of the Sentimental Tours. I'm almost 76 now, but I hope to make at least one more. The next one will be near Charlotte, NC in 2016.

Seeya there.

Earl & Judy Beauchamp

Good luck on the roads Earl, I know with Wayne paving the way you'll be ok. Wish we could join you but we're taking a little detour and going over to Watkins Glenn Ny for the Vintage Races. Leaving next Wed and driving up to Harrisburg PA then north on 15 straight to the Glenn so hopefully our traffic issues will be minor compared to the route you're going. We're taking Susan's 48MGTC up there since MG is the featured marque this year. Should be good with plenty of touring roads, visiting wineries, and driving the old course thru the village. Lots of MG activities. Can't be in two places at once and my boss still likes to me show up at work occasionally. Gotta save some annual leave time for Hershey too.

We're looking forward to 2016 as it'll be a bit closer to home, and now that we've got the MG we have a car much more suitable to the Sentimental. Looking forward to touring with you guys on that one. Hard to believe it's been so long since we were on that first one together years ago. You've done well to make them all. I know I really enjoyed driving your 35 Buick - you almost converted me!

Safe travels-

Terry

I was sorry you didn't buy that '38 Plymouth you were thinking about a few years ago, to run on this tour. I made it my job to find a taker for the 2016 tour, but I'm sure I'll be too old to try and find a taker for 2018, if I'm even still around. :) Believe it or not, I was hooking up the trailer tonight when I noticed that the alternator on the 2007 Chevy (ugh!) Suburban wasn't working. Typical Chevrolet, only 46,000 miles. I have to really scramble tomorrow to get it fixed. Guess I was lucky. It could have quit in Jacksonville or someplace instead of in my driveway. Too old to trad on a Dodge Hemi at that late stage in life.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

I was going to go to Winchester, VA and pick up I-81 and generally follow it all the way to Albany, NY afterwhich there was a 200 mile drive on a 2-lane road (or was it 100?). It increased the trip by 250 miles or so at 7.5 mpg. Wayne told me he had run the route we're going hundreds of times with a tractor trailer truck and I could follow him, so I decided to do that. We'll be traveling on Saturday's so maybe we'll miss any rush hours. So it is saddle up and move 'em out! (First I've got to get the Suburban fixed the day before Labor Day weekend!)

Earl,

We AVOID NYC if at all possible and you can too. Take I-81 to Scranton PA (Stoppng at Hershey) then I-84 to I-95.

It may take a little longer, but you'll live longer too. (Then again, if I-95 is normal it could take less time)

Paul

If I were going solo then I would do just as you say, except somebody else told me I95 north of NYC was even worse. Then again it is 150-some miles from my house in VA to Winchester hit I-81. I guess I'll just go the way Wayne Burgess goes. As of now that is up US-301 to Bowie, MD then over through Delaware and hit I=95 somewhere. I do know this, Portland, NH seems to be one of those places where "you can't get there from here", haha. We are in Darien, GA this morning and should make it to Warsaw,VA by late this afternoon. So, you're in Tennessee now huh? Florida continues to slip into insurance cost chaos. I found I lose more money on insurance than I spent for state income taxes in Virginia. Are you going to make the Sentimental Tour this year? You've been to most of them. EDB

We're on our way too. Overnight in Roanoke VA tonight, then Luray Caverns in the AM and off to Hershey for a tour of the Chocolate Factory before taking I-84 to Boston, then up A1A to Portsmouth. We live now in the Smoky Mountains of NC, near Franklin, which is a day closer to the world than Florida. See you on the tour.

Okay, seeya there. We got to our house in Warsaw, VA yesterday about 4 PM. Another way for us to go I guess would be up to Baltimore and then pick up I-85 to I-81 somewhere up there. A guy in the motel in GA told me to go up I-81 to Route 209. As for coming back north, NC is no better than VA for weather and taxes. In VA you don't have to pay ANY personal property tax on an old car registered as an antique. But, we've got a daughter a few blocks away in FL who needs us to be around from time to time and the VA house is not big enough......and NOTHING is selling in and around Warsaw. I'd have to sell two places and buy one, and move again....too old for all of that.

We met up with Paul & Inge Dobbin and family from Germany at the motel in Troutville, Virginia Wednesday night/ Thursday morning, and then Dale & I continued on to central Pennsylvania to swap cars.

We drove the 1941 Cadillac convertible from the Johnstown area, through Mid-Town Manhattan (caused a sensation at Broadway & 42nd Street) and via the Queens-MidTown Tunnel to the Arthur Ashe Tennis Center on Long Island, visited family cemeteries, and continued on through Connecticut and Massachussets to Portsmouth, NH, arriving at the motel on Friday evening.

Love driving the yellow Caddy - and most folks who we met along the way also appreciated seeing it.

Had a great LOBSTAAH DINNAAH in Portsmouth on Friday at the Bratskeller, and ate tonight at a 1950s Diner

Driving top-down this afternoon in downtown Portsmouth - and crossed the bridge into Kittery, Maine for a very scenic drive through the area.

Cumberland Farms convenience store on Highway 1 Bypass has regular for $3.22/gallon - but there seems not to be any N0-Ethanol.

BJ's near the Host Hotel at Durgin and Woodbury is $3.33/gal.

In spite of all the worry about getting here, we all made it. On this tour of cars 1928-1958, there qre 1`00 participants.

100 cars: 22 Ford V8's, 13 Model A's, 14 50's Chevies, 11 50's Ford and about 8 two seat T-Birds. We have 7 Packards (53,39,55,54,37,32,40) 2 Willys, 3 Cadillacs, 8 Buicks, 4 Plymouths, 3 Hupmobiles, 4 Studebakers, 1 Lincoln, 1 Pontiac, 1 International, 2 Desotos, 1 Jag and 7 Mercurys. A couple other makes in small numbers like Dodge, Chrysler, Nash and a 1936 Dusenberg!.

Weather is great, scenery is good, people are friendly, cars are running great. What more could you want?

We had a great time today too. Enjoyed a nice boat cruise inspecting the New Hampshire/Maine coast and the discussions about which state owned what in this area. The Portsmouth Navy Yard is in Maine, and the "discussion" has not stopped since then. We had a chance to glimpse a Nuke Sub under refitting. I did not see any guards around the area, but I could still not intice the ship's captain to "get closer"! I got to go inside a 50's era sub today, very cramped quarters. Brought back memories of my mine trip last year. We traveled this afternoon down to Hampton Beach, watched a few bathing beauties and some surfers.

After our crazy Buzzy's Meeting, we're ready to travel back north through Maine tomorrow.

Wayne

Wow, what a day!

This is the ONLY reason you need to attend an AACA National Tour. These Packards were just part of the private collection owned by Bob Bahre of Maine. The Sentimental Tour group got a very special view of this collection today, and AACA should be very thankful for it.

Wayne

post-31395-143142717277_thumb.jpg

I'm supposed to write a tour report for the Buzzard's Region newletter. I didn't take notes. So, I might forget some stuff. Great tour. After re-loading my '39 Buick sedan into the trailer, my Suburban wouldn't start. Lots of consternation for me at the banquet, but Saturday morning AAA picked me up and took me to Holloway Buick-GMC and we were there when the shop opened at 9AM. New starter by 10:30AM, back at Virginia house by 11:30PM (600 miles). All efforts to avoid NYC were whipped by my GPS, so Judy and I are now veterans of driving I-95 right through NY by ourselves. Going up we followed Wayne & Gloria Burgess. Maybe it's time for a Dodge puller or a "Ford in my Future".

All efforts to avoid NYC were whipped by my GPS, so Judy and I are now veterans of driving I-95 right through NY by ourselves. Going up we followed Wayne & Gloria Burgess.....

Yeah, we did better going up too Earl!

Coming back I kept turning to the right as "my girl" was whining to bear left. I wanted to go through Waterbury, CN, home office of a failed local factory company, to "just see". That girl must have re-calculated 10 times until she finally gave up and sent us over to I 87(?) south. I was happy expecting to go over the Tappan zee Bridge (never happened). Well, she got me back as I ignorantly followed her instructions down the Bronx Parkway. A perfect name as we were parked most of the time. I won't bore you with it, but we probably lost 45 minutes with that detour. Yes, she got me back.

The wife will call Tom-Tom this week. She wants "Leroy's" voice from now on. "What's Happen' Man"?:o

(wife just told me I put too many "n"s in Happen'????? Gee, what do I now 'bout slng" ???

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

WQOW !!

What a great job this Tour Committee has done !!

Kudos to all the members of the Granite region, and especially to Shirley & Larry Cossar, and to Pat & Jack Armstrong.

The routes were a delight, the weather was perfect except for the free carwash on Thursday, and we had the top down on our 1941 Cadillac most of the time.

We drove the '41 Caddy from Windber/Johnstown, PA through Pennsylvania and New Jersey - right through the Lincoln Tunnel and across Mid-Town Manhattan on 42nd Street and got thousands of "Thumbs-Up". Then through the Queens-Mid_town tunnel to near the Arthur Ashe Tennis Center to visit our family cemeteries, and then via the Bronx , Connecticut, and Massachussetts to start the tour in Portsmouth, NH.

Heading back was a nice, but wet, drive back to drop the big Caddy in Windber - no problems with the car the entire trip except for a quick replacement of a starter button (made in Mexico?) which took me less than 5 minutes

Thank you Barry Eash for the preparation of our Caddy

We look forward to driving it on the upcoming AACA Founders Tour in October

post-54863-143142720232_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just back home from yet another AACA TOUR - the Founders Tour in New Jersey, and opening a month's worth of mail.

What a nice surprise to find the rebate check from the Sentimental Tour.

Those folks did a fantastic job and we really enjoyed it and appreciate their efforts.

• 6 years later...

Just received the 2020 Nov-Dec Antique Automobile and was shocked to see that Jack Armstrong had passed away on September 16. Sad to say I have not been keeping up with AACA very well this year. I also noticed that Bob Bahre passed away on July 24. Strange in searching for forum info on Jack I come across this Sentimental Tour string which featured some of Bob's car collection pictures too. Just goes to show folks that sometimes passing up on an AACA Tour may be your only chance to see special places or also, even sadder, meet old friends while they are still with us!  

Wayne, the wife and I survived the covid!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

It looks great, Earl!  I'm trying to find a host region/chapter for the 2022 Sentimental Tour.  If you or any other readers have suggestions, please send them to me.  In the meantime, we have 8 tours on the schedule this year for you and other members to enjoy:

- Southeastern Divisional Tour in Central Florida on April 19-22, 2021

- Founders Tour in Davis, WV, on May 20-25, 2021

- Eastern Divisional Tour in the Eastern Shore of Maryland on June 2-5, 2021

- Vintage Tour in Lock Haven & Wellsboro, PA, on July 11-16, 2021

- Glidden Tour (hosted by VMCCA) in Saratoga Springs, NY, on September 12-17, 2021

- Southeastern Divisional Fall Tour in Mt. Airy, NC, on October 11-15, 2021

- Central Divisional Tour in Broken Arrow, OK, on October 18-22, 2021

- Western Divisional Tour in Phoenix & Central Arizona on November 7-11, 2021.  (Note:  These dates may be shifting a bit.)

The host regions & chapters have put a lot of time and effort into planning these tours.  Please support them--and have fun in the process--by showing up in force for each tour.

• 1 month later...

Time is marching on.  It is only one year  until the next AACA Sentimental Tour is supposed to be held.  It takes some time to plan a five day tour that is successful.  Yet, with the 2020 Sentimental Tour tuned into the 2021 Founders Tour, there is no announcement for the 2022 Sentimental Tour.  This is the only AACA Tour dedicated to Depression Era-World War II-Post War vehciles.  The 10th Annual Tour is the next one.  I'm 82 and holding onto my Suburban and closed trailer just to make this Tour.  I've spoken to a couple of people that, hopefully, would get their Region to accept this job, but so far nobody has stepped forward.  Possibly, in April, at the  SE Divisional Tour I'll meet somebody willing to step up, but by 2023 I don't expect to have the trailer and tow vehicle any longer.  Please, who among my many friends from days gone by will step up to the plate?

On 3/9/2021 at 7:10 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Time is marching on.  It is only one year  until the next AACA Sentimental Tour is supposed to be held.  It takes some time to plan a five day tour that is successful.  Yet, with the 2020 Sentimental Tour tuned into the 2021 Founders Tour, there is no announcement for the 2022 Sentimental Tour.  This is the only AACA Tour dedicated to Depression Era-World War II-Post War vehciles.  The 10th Annual Tour is the next one.  I'm 82 and holding onto my Suburban and closed trailer just to make this Tour.  I've spoken to a couple of people that, hopefully, would get their Region to accept this job, but so far nobody has stepped forward.  Possibly, in April, at the  SE Divisional Tour I'll meet somebody willing to step up, but by 2023 I don't expect to have the trailer and tow vehicle any longer.  Please, who among my many friends from days gone by will step up to the plate?

Mark,

When will this tour have information available?

We've never done an AACA tour and hope to make this one our first!  However, we need some information about it :)

13 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Mark,

When will this tour have information available?

We've never done an AACA tour and hope to make this one our first!  However, we need some information about it :)

Annie, shoot an e-mail to Tour Chairman Charles Emery at   <charlesemeryms@gmail.com>   to get on the waiting list.  People cancel all the time, so you might get lucky!

Wayne

What I'd like to know is what happened to my newer post of this subject of 2-3 weeks ago?  Did somebody arbitrarily take it off the site?  It was with regard to my plea that some Region pick up the 2022 10th Semi-Annual Sentimental Tour.  It WAS scheduled for WVA in 2020 and now that Tour has been taken over by the 2021 Founder's Tour, which I cannot attend.  When I go to the subject, the post is by Wayne Burgess, and my most current one has disappeared.  Earl Beauchamp, Past National President 2004, Founder of the AACA Sentimental Tour.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

What I'd like to know is what happened to my newer post of this subject of 2-3 weeks ago?  Did somebody arbitrarily take it off the site?  It was with regard to my plea that some Region pick up the 2022 10th Semi-Annual Sentimental Tour.  It WAS scheduled for WVA in 2020 and now that Tour has been taken over by the 2021 Founder's Tour, which I cannot attend.  When I go to the subject, the post is by Wayne Burgess, and my most current one has disappeared.  Earl Beauchamp, Past National President 2004, Founder of the AACA Sentimental Tour.

It's still there Earl. Actually, it is on here twice.  (:-)

11 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Annie, shoot an e-mail to Tour Chairman Charles Emery at   <charlesemeryms@gmail.com>   to get on the waiting list.  People cancel all the time, so you might get lucky!

Wayne

I just did and it bounced back as a bad email.

Annie,

Since the Eastern Shore Tour is full, and with a waiting list, why not look into the 2021 Founders Tour, May 20 - 25th in Davis, WV ?

We plan to do both of them, and I've driven every Founders Tour, going back to the first one in 1988 - surely among the best,

and Franklin Gage is a master at tour planning!