Removal of wood spokes on 31 Buick 8-67

Claude Lavoie

Re: 1931 Buick model 60. I am trying to remove the wood spokes from the felloe / rim in order to refinish them, sandblast the rim and refinish the parts to make the wheels as good as new. Would anyone know how to dismantle the artillery wheels for this car? I have removed the 15 rivets that hold the felloe to the rim, but I believe that the felloe and rim are "rust welded" together. Still, I am not sure that the felloe and rim have to be separated to remove the spokes.

Thanks for the help.

Claude Lavoie

Re: 1931 Buick model 60. I am trying to remove the wood spokes from the felloe / rim in order to refinish them, sandblast the rim and refinish the parts to make the wheels as good as new.

Claude , save yourself time , and ultimately money , and/or potentially lives. You do not have the tools , jigs , and the years of apprenticeship to do the wheelwrights job. "Good as new" is the ideal condition for a wood wheel in service. Less than that could serve for show only. Your enthusiasm and confidence is very admirable ,but use it elsewhere while you wait for a reputable shop to do this one. They probably will be back ordered. I use Tom Deseret here in Washington state. There is no finer than he. Ask around your local clubs and find your salvation. If you attain the knowledge and equipment to resurrect your wheels properly , there may be a career as a wheelwright for you! Very best luck in this , and with all your projects. I am so incompetent that I don't even know how to post pictures here. I only can send to email. If you would like , I can send some pics of wheels on my mid '20s Cadillacs. I guess P.M. would be a starting point. I will also be seeing Tom in September. He is working on another set of wheels for me. If I can help you in some way , it would be an honor. - Carl

Claude,

I would agree with C Carl on taking the wheels apart and trying to do it by your self if you are not experienced. The wood wheels on my trucks are one of what I consider high safety items and I let someone else make the wheels for me. I see that you are quite a ways up the St Lawrence but I have used Stutzman Wheel Works in Ohio and they are very experienced and do very good work. You can google them and get their number. You call and leave a message and they will call you back.

Guest mclbuick2002

Claude

I removed all 10 spokes , sanded , and mounted back on turned drums for my 1930 model 47. I then found a parts car with the bolt on 12 spoke wheels. The 1930 model 40 drums have same part number as the 1931 model 60s.

I will sell you the complete set of wheels and drums for far less than it will cost to re spoke your 1931.

I am in BC.

email if interested

I also have many spare parts for 1930 [ 40 series McLaughlin] Buicks- headlights,tail lights,fenders, running lights , frames, cowls,frame covers , gas tank covers, etc

stangis@shaw.ca

Claude,

I have respoked wheels for my model T with an excellent result, but it is not for the faint of heart. I would not even consider doing my '30 Buick. It is like the difference between putting a dress on a kitty cat and a tiger. If you really want to do it yourself, and the spokes are in excellent condition, you might consider refinishing them without dis-assembly.

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/i-refinished-1930-buick-wood-spoke-353923.html

• 2 months later...

I redone mine without any problems

the only thing you need is a hydraulic (car workshop) press to remove the center hubs

then you remove the spokes also with the hydraulic press

without a hydraulic press it is not possible

my wheels came out beautiful

See below pics how I got them and how they came out

$_57-1.JPG

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_2245.JPG

Edited by k562381 (see edit history)

I think Dwight has a balanced approach do the best you can cleaning and refinishing them still put together or as most others have suggested send them to a pro with the proper equipment and knowledge to get it right.

I had to change spokes on a 1923 Franklin wheel years ago It worked out but I swore after that if there was a pro available thats the way to go.