Right Hand Driven Packard

Sleonard65

Very nice, if an eight it's a 1604, 1938.....I have same car in cream in my garage....wonderful driving cars, heavy with a smooth suspension, and a new that year center point steering that's as easy as it comes....right hand drive quite unusual....

There's another such 1938 Packard, rhd and the unusual lights, that lived in Staunton Virginia for a long time, assume it's still there....Staunton is the birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, and the museum there has his Pierce Arrow....

I saw the title and I thought the 1948 Packard from South Africa had resurfaced. The last time I saw it was at the Mel Hayes dealership in Horseheads, New York. The car used to belong to my friend Floyd Newlands, in Barrie Center, New York and used to share space with his collection of Hudsons and Metropolitans.

I liked that car a lot. Mel Hayes has changed to Otto's. The Packard may still be there.

Back around 2002 or '03 Floyd had a tutone green 1950ish Hudson that was really ringing the bell for me. I didn't "need" an old car at the time but it was driving me nuts. I began to notice some styling ques between the early '90's Buick Roadmaster and the stepdown Hudsons, really similar in a lot of ways. I ended up settling for a maroon 1994 Roadmaster sedan. New York rust ate it and I replaced it with a black 1994 Roadmaster sedan. Rust got that one and now the 1994 Impala SS lives in the garage with no winter exposure.

A couple of days ago I backed the Chevy out of the garage to go on a date with my waiting wife. I asked "Do you notice the similarity in style between this car and the '48 Packard?" She just shook her head and said "Yes."

Maybe I should take a ride down to Horseheads.... with the camera.

Bernie