Nash 1929 low oil pressure

Naasaa

Hi

New to this forum.

I have a 1929 Nash Standard Six.

Yesterday I experienced low oil pressure. Removing the tubing to the oil gauge revealed almost no pressure.

I probably have to drop the sump, but before that. Is there a kind of strainer on the oil pump suction side that might have been blocked?

Thanks

Lars

Is that normal for such old cars that you have to drop the oil pan to clean a filter or strainer for the oil pump suction?

Yes, absolutely. Remember your car dates from at least 15 years before the advent of detergent motor oils so sludge accumulation in the oil pan was a common thing and most car makers advised removing the oil pan for cleaning annually.

Amen to dropping the pan. The first thing to do if an old engine has been sitting a long time without running. I have seen many old engines bite the dust because, while the pan had been drained and refilled, the pickup screen was buried in muck at the bottom of the pan.

As a matter of fact, that is how I got my "38 Buick. The previous owner drug it out of storage, changed the oil, fired it up, drove it home and fried the bearings from crud in the pan - he sold it.