Another Brake System Question, Pump Run time after sitting

Dashmaster

I have been letting my car sit with the brake system pressurized since Sunday after I got the system sealed and bled. No leaking so far. But turned the key this morning before off to work and the brake pump ran for a bit to re-pressurized. Is this normal for at car that has sit for several days? Or is there something else I should look at?

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

A few more things to know. The Teves unit should retain sufficient pressure to avoid turning ON either of the brake related lamps on the dash for at least several hours after the engine is turned off, but the pump can and will run at pressures above those that activate the warning lights, such as will be encountered during normal braking activities. It is always to be expected that BOTH brake warning lights will illuminate for 30-45 seconds after the vehicle sits overnight. NEITHER light should EVER illuminate while braking normally. FYI, the RED brake light can also be set by a very partial setting of the parking brake, so always make sure that it is released if you have a persistent red brake warning light.

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do yourself a favor and go here and take the brake test:

http://reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html

Record your answers and save for reference later when you think you are getting brake problems back. Will help focus what may be amiss.

Believe the consensus would agree the answers to the first two tests will be somewhat lower than the published answers as they don't seem to make accumulators like they used to.

Thank You I will print it out and run it thru and note each step. I think the accumulator may be original but will have to go thru all the receipts that I got with the car to see if it was ever changed. All I can add is when I had car running Sunday, it would only take 3 or 4 pumps on the brake and the pump would come on to re-pressurize the system.

Three to four pedal applications before pump start is doing well. The age and shelf life of "new" accumulators is still an open question. My personal experience with four different accumulators, two used, one new and one used but recent replacement all yield almost identical results for fluid drop and pumps before pump start, usually two pumps.