Simple Fixes

Mr. Anderson

This evening, while working with the 91, I wanted to get to the bottom of why a lot of my accessories (mirrors, door locks, interior lights, etc.) didn't work. Before I decided on getting new or replacement parts, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't something unbelievably simple, like a blown fuse.

Well, it wasn't a blown fuse. There was actually no fuse in the #2 Body (20 amp) slot at all. :P After rounding up a spare and putting it in, I had nearly everything that wasn't working before functioning properly.

Just goes to show you, check the simple stuff before changing out expensive parts.

P.S. I think I have a blown relay or two, because I have no fog lights or parking lights or brake lights along the tail light housing. The only working brake light is the third light behind the glass. Any hints as to what relays are bad? Thanks!

Guest Mc_Reatta

P.S. I think I have a blown relay or two, because I have no fog lights or parking lights or brake lights along the tail light housing. The only working brake light is the third light behind the glass. Any hints as to what relays are bad? Thanks!

Fog lights: Assuming switch lights up when they are turned on. powered by circuit breaker #22, relay is "B" in interior relay center.

Parking lights: Fuse #10 Relay is taped to interior relay center

Brake lights: Fuse #6 for outer two, fuse #2 for inner one. Relays only control innermost ones so not the problem. If all are out, do turn signals / flashers work? could be bad turn hazard switch or bad ground at center of trunk below trunk lid latch.

Fog lights: Assuming switch lights up when they are turned on. powered by circuit breaker #22, relay is "B" in interior relay center.

Parking lights: Fuse #10 Relay is taped to interior relay center

Brake lights: Fuse #6 for outer two, fuse #2 for inner one. Relays only control innermost ones so not the problem. If all are out, do turn signals / flashers work? could be bad turn hazard switch or bad ground at center of trunk below trunk lid latch.

Mc, I'm pretty sure I have a blown fog light relay, as the fog light switch lights up when pressed. I also checked the suspect relays in the interior relay center and they all checked good. I tested by swapping with a known good one (HI/LO BEAM relay).

As for tail lights and brake lights, I was looking in the trunk and found that there was a harness that was unplugged next to the antenna that ran towards the tail light assembly. I plugged it back up and BAM, I had the full 14 bulbs working. I only had two of the three brake lights on each side because the replacement fuse that I put in the #2 slot had blown already, so I have a short somewhere, but have no idea where or how to begin on that one.

The turn signals work on the car, but I have so many parking lights that have been burnt out that it is hard to tell, but after I hooked that rear harness back together the turn signal worked like normal.

Oh, and as an extra act of caution, I've been disconnecting the battery on the car when it's just been sitting between times that I can work on it. I don't think it'll be a problem with everything hooked back up, but its better to be cautious than not when doing this electrical troubleshooting.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far! I really appreciate it! :)