6v Generator to 6v Alternator Conversion

Guest perrymedik

Guest perrymedik

Hi all!

I finally have some time back on my hands to work on getting the ol' girl (1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe P-18) running again.

I have just purchased a 6v Alternator (1 wire) and mounting bracket from Quality Power. I decided to keep it 6v because I didn't feel the need to upgrade to 12 and keeps everything as close to original as possible.

Aside from the alternator and bracket, do I need anything else? Also, is there a good guide on how to wire it up (in the event it doesn't come with instructions)?

I am hoping that once I get this, the Carb, and fuel pump all re-installed, that I will be able to get her running and on the road again.

Any help, links, pictures or anything else would be appreciated.

ALSO!! Talk to me like I don't know anything about what I'm doing, because I don't! LOL!

Thanks!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

I have a 6 volt pos ground on this Plymouth, it works well. I ran thru the amp meter rather than going straight to the battery. If you are at all familiar with electrics you should have no problem. I stashed the original generator and regulator for some future owner should he want to rebuild and go back to original.

There will be a couple of wires that go from the generator to the regulator that you will not use. So basically hook the alt to the wire that goes thru the dash to the amp gauge. The alternator doesn't show that much of a charge on my gauge except for a few seconds after the initial start up so you may want to hook up your multi meter to confirm function.

One other thing that doesnt really matter is that you will be able to hear the alternator, it makes a slight whirring sound.

Guest perrymedik

Jack M. Thanks for the info and tips!!!<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

• 1 month later...
Guest perrymedik

I have the alternator now and installed! Woo Hoo!!

A few questions before I button that part up and move on to putting the rest back together:

The original Generator had two wires that went to the Voltage Regulator, a #10 Red and a #16 Green. The Red went to the ARM terminal and the Green went to the FLD terminal.

When I installed the alternator (a 1 wire type), I ran the #10 Red wire from the Alternator to the ARM terminal.

1. Is this the correct setup?

2. What do I do with the Green wire?

3. Will my Dashboard battery gauge still work?

Part of the info packet that came with the alternator shows the wire from the alternator going to the BAT terminal on my Voltage Regulator, but it also makes a point of noting that that is the set up for Negative Ground (and yes, I did make sure to purchase a 6v POS Ground Alternator).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

You need to run the output of the alternator thru the amp gauge for it to register. So it goes to the wire that goes thru the firewall.

I didn't use either of the wires that went from the gen to the reg. They are with my extra parts.

Guest perrymedik

GK1918: I think I'll do the same!<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>