does anyone have the factory spring settings for a 1933 D.P. Dodge Brougham?

beetles

I am desperately trying to find the factory settings for the springs under my 33 D.P. Brougham.

Does anyone have the literature.

I am in Australia and my car is a full import. NOT a local bodied car so the U.S. factory settings are the one I want. (they may be the same anyway)

Also any info on settings for the original shockers would be appreciated.

Thanks ,

Beetles

Hi Beetles

I've got a specification manual put out by Spring Service Limited of Toronto Ontario in the '40s covering most cars from as early as 1914 up to 1940. Here's what I found for 1933 Dodge DP 6 Sedan/Brougham including measuring instructions:

Fronts - Width - 1 1/2"; no. of leaves - 7; Length - 17 1/2" x 18 9/16"; Height - 2 1/2"; Weight -17 lb; Main leaf weight - 5 lb.

Rears - Width - 1 1/2"; no. of leaves - 8; Length - 26 1/2" x 27"; Height - 8 5/8"; Weight - 32 lb; Main leaf weight - 7 lb.

Explanations and Instructions

In measuring the length of a spring, take the distance from the centre to the centre of the springeye following the curvature of the main plate of the spring.

The spring lengths given in this catalogue are in accordance with the above method.

Do not measure the straight length from centre to centre of the eye.

The height of a spring is the greatest distance from the mainplate to the straight line from the centre to the centre of the eyes when the Spring is free and unloaded.

Weights are approximate.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Best of luck with your '33 DP. They are a beautiful car!

Hi Jim, Thanks for your quick reply. I am surprised!

The info appears to be just what I am after but the lengths I am not sure of.

Where it mentions length 17 1/2" x 18 9/16", are those 2 measurements fore and aft of the center bolt? I assume this as mine are about the sum of the two.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards , Beetles

Hi again Beetles

Although it is not spelled out in the manual, I take those measurements to mean fore and aft of the centre bolt. That's the only way they would make sense. I'm not an expert on springs so if anyone with more experience wants to comment, that would be great.

For additional info you can try Eaton Detroit Spring in Detroit, MI. They have the factory specs and drawings for most all OEs from 1920s to present. They are also quite expert at altering the specs for your personal application.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

1555 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI 48216

<nobr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.1200008392334px;">(313) 963-3839</nobr>