WHAT DOES THIS UNUSUAL CRANKHOLE COVER FIT ?

Guest mikeburch

Guest mikeburch

I have this most unusual Crank Hole Cover. That is what it is, isn't it ?

What does it fit ?

The center is Bakelite (?). It has a fractured crack.

The rim is bent a little and needs to be straightened a bit. I believe that it will come apart for repairing.

Thank you,

mikeburch

post-61922-143142693551_thumb.jpg

post-61922-143142693555_thumb.jpg

post-61922-143142693559_thumb.jpg

Guest mikeburch

There are no electrical wires. Those wires are very stiff wires, to hold it into place. I'll get a better picture of the back, today.

That black piece is a rubber spacer, of some sort.

Thank you,

mikeburch

Guest mikeburch

Curti ...........................

You sure seem to know the 1936 Chevrolet horn button.

Here is the back view of my piece.

Thank you,

mikeburch

CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

post-61922-143142695336_thumb.jpg

Guest 36chev

Absolutely 1936 Chevrolet accessory horn button. In good condition, worth a fair amount of $$. The rubber is reproduced, as is the grounding prong (as noted, 1929-40). The accessory celluloid/bakelite center is not. The rubber fits down in the steering wheel and acts a "spring" to push the horn button back up after it is pushed. Hope this helps.

Guest mikeburch

Curti, Commodore, 36chev & auburnseeker .................

Thank you for your input. I am now 100% convinced that it is a 1936 Chevrolet horn button.

I wasn't, at first, but the photo convinced me.

The rubber base, on mine, seems larger than the reproduction.

Thank you,

mikeburch

Curti, Commodore, 36chev & auburnseeker .................

Thank you for your input. I am now 100% convinced that it is a 1936 Chevrolet horn button.

I wasn't, at first, but the photo convinced me.

The rubber base, on mine, seems larger than the reproduction.

Thank you,

mikeburch

Your rubber base has probably stretched out with age. Very common.

Guest mikeburch

keiser31 ......................

I don't know. Mine seems to have a definate shape. I bet the reproductions are based on a later horn button. ?????

I just might try to remove the rubber and press out the rim to the flat configuration.

If someone would like this piece and would rather work on the rim, themselves, let me know.

Thank you for your input,

mikeburch

Guest 36chev
keiser31 ......................

I don't know. Mine seems to have a definate shape. I bet the reproductions are based on a later horn button. ?????

I just might try to remove the rubber and press out the rim to the flat configuration.

If someone would like this piece and would rather work on the rim, themselves, let me know.

Thank you for your input,

mikeburch

Mike,

The reproduction rubber and wire contacts are correct for this horn button. It's just that your horn button is bent and distorted fairly significantly. I have a used accessory horn button like this one currently my car and a NOS accessory horn button cap that I will either put on my car someday or sell. My car is a driver, so it almost seems overkill to put a perfect NOS button on a car that is not perfect otherwise. Good luck in fixing and selling.

Edited by 36chev (see edit history)

Guest mikeburch

36chevy ...........................

If you have a '36 Chevrolet radio, I have a mint, Zenith, NOS Radio Plate, with knobs, etc., advertised in the Chevrolet Forum. It would fit, exactly, in the center of your dash.

In fact, if you would buy it, I'll throw in this horn button.

Thank you,

mikeburch

post-61922-143142699297_thumb.jpg

Guest 36chev
36chevy ...........................

If you have a '36 Chevrolet radio, I have a mint, Zenith, NOS Radio Plate, with knobs, etc., advertised in the Chevrolet Forum. It would fit, exactly, in the center of your dash.

In fact, if you would buy it, I'll throw in this horn button.

Thank you,

mikeburch

Mike,

If you had the radio plate 15 years ago or so, I would have wanted it. At that time had all of the radio components except for the knobs. They weren't reproduced and couldn't find any, so I sold the radio. Thanks for the offer, but wouldn't have a use now. And also have accessory horn button. You should be able to find someone who wants the radio plate, although someone wanting a car to show may prefer the genuine Chevy radio plate to avoid point deductions.

For this and other Chevrolet parts, you could try posting in the forums over at the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America site--perhaps find more potential buyers there. Good luck in identifying and selling!

Guest mikeburch

36chev .........................

I thought that it was a genuine Chevrolet part. I picked it from an old Chevrolet dealership.

Thank you,

mikeburch