Steering Wheel Wobble

Guest marcelosm

Guest marcelosm

So as so of you may have noticed, I am trying to get my Reatta up and running. I went to the state inspection today and they asked to do a couple of things before they pass me. Amongst other things I need to fix the wobble in my steering wheel.

Do any of you know how to remove the steering wheel so that I can at least see what's wrong? Normally I just jump headfirst but I'm worried that I might break a plastic piece and be stuck with no steering wheel.

Thank you.

Guest marcelosm

I'm hoping I can do some kind of workaround so that it won't wobble for at least the duration of the inspection. It doesn't bother me toooo much.

Sorry to say, I don't think there is any workable stop gap to reduce the wobble. The repair is kind of nasty, requires partial disassembly of the column. Pulling the wheel is easy with a puller tool. Getting to the loose bolts (and what has to be removed to do so) is the unpleasant part. At least yours has no air bag system to further complicate matters.

This also requires a special spring plate compression tool (forget the exact name of it) to get further down into the column.

I wish I had better news. If you have a shop locally that specializes in column repair you might have them tackle it if you are uncomfortable or lack the tools to do it yourself.

KDirk

As KDirk it is a nasty job if you can not find a shop to repair it than your best bet is to repair it. You will still need a puller and the depressor to save the wheel and replace the ignition sw.

I helped a friend with his column it was not only a problem at the knuckle but the balls had fallen out of the berings. Remove is straight forward and in the FSM. I am sure the vendors here would have one.

Guest Kitskaboodle

As mentioned above, this is common problem with GM columns. Mine was as bad as anyone's out there! I watched my mechanic take my column apart and unfortunately the screws that are loose are pretty near the base of the column. :(

As a side note, there are a few guys out there who rebuild columns for a nominal fee. It's been a while but there was a guy on the Fiero forum named "Jazzman" who used to rebuild and return yours for around $100 I think.

Guest marcelosm

Yes that's what I meant. I don't really think its worth fixing then if it is that difficult. I think the woman doing the inspection was being picky. I'll try and go to another place to do the inspection.

This is what you need. The U shaped piece is what you need to depress the lock plate against the spring and remove the lock clip. Last time I went into a Fiero it took about 10 minutes to get to where you could see the bolts but that was a few years ago.

Guest Mc_Reatta
This is what you need. The U shaped piece is what you need to depress the lock plate against the spring and remove the lock clip. Last time I went into a Fiero it took about 10 minutes to get to where you could see the bolts but that was a few years ago.

You can borrow this tool for free from many FLAPS. I get one from the Zone when I need one.