New drums for my 1931 Plymouth PA

Patricks31ply

New drums for my 1931 Plymouth PA<o:p></o:p>

After a long summer of many major mechanical repairs my last project for this year was to address the drums. I searched high and low for replacement drums (11”x1.5”) with no luck. <o:p></o:p>

My last option was to make something work as my drums were way beyond spec and not safe to drive with. I found the 1931 Model A drums matched the size but in order to make all this work would need machine work. I removed the hubs from the Plymouth drums, machined the center hole in the Model A drums to match the step in the Plymouth drums, machined new holes for the wheel studs and moved the hubs to the inside of the drum as on the Plymouth they are on the outside of the drum. Brake shoes are relined and all seals are new. I did have to add a small shim behind the backing plate to allow the new drum to make complete contact with the shoe, roughly .010.<o:p></o:p>

This has been far from easy or cheap but the finished results were well worth the hours, dollars, and challenges. <o:p></o:p>

Here are a few pictures for reference: post-88926-143142692644_thumb.jpg</o:p>

post-88926-143142692621_thumb.jpg

post-88926-143142692666_thumb.jpg

post-88926-143142692689_thumb.jpg

Thx and agree! I'm creating a step by step guide including part numbers, pictures and purchased items which Todd will put on his site at POC for future reference.

Hopefully, you will post it all here, too.

I admire and commend your inventiveness in using and adapting the Model A drums. There's always a solution to a problem with enough thought. I think that the challenge in making parts or being able to repair a broken part is the real satisfaction in this hobby, at least for me!

Thank you all for the nice comments! Being able to work through the problems on this car is a great release after a challenging day at work in the real world. Nothing better than heading out to the shop and escaping the daily grind. She has been in our family since the day she was purchased 83 years ago. <o:p></o:p>