1929 engine questions

West Peterson

Were both engines of 1929 offered in all three series? 116, 121 and 129

What was the actual horsepower of the 239cid engine?

Thanks.

West

There were no motor options between Series.

Series 116 was equipped with the 239cid engine which developed 74bhp

Series 121 and 129 ( both Master Series ) used the 310 ( or 309.6) cid which developed 91bhp.

The physical difference ( size) prevents motor swaps between Standard and Master Series, in fact virtually nothing mechanical is interchangeable between Standard and Master.

Thank you, Stuart,

According to Terry Dunham, the "Master" and "Standard" names were dropped in 1929.

Yes, they were and in 1929 Series 114, Series 121 and Series 129 were introduced, the Series 116 replacing the Standard and the other 2 replacing the Master.

Die hard Buick owners struggled with these model ID's ( which were based on wheelbase ) and continued to refer to the larger models as Master and the smaller as Standards.

This led to Buick making yet another model ID change in the 1930 model line up which was

116 Series became 40 Series ( still commonly referred to as a Standard )

121 Series became 50 Series ( still commonly referred to as a Master )

129 Series became 60 Series ( still commonly referred to as a Master )

To further complicate matters the Series 30 was introduced which was the Marquette. This " baby Buick " was built on a 114" wheelbase.

If you really want things to get complicated with Buick ID's compare the Series and wheelbases for the 1931 range!

At least by 1931 even the diehards had stopped using the Standard and Master terminology.

I guess confusions can be traced right back to Buick itself, since they published material calling them ALL Masters. I was just sent some factory information from the AACA Library.

Another inconsistency I've also been noting are the terms "Sport Touring" and "Sport Phaeton" being kicked around for the same Model 55 (55X). Being a five-passenger car, I would prefer to call it a Sport Phaeton.

post-33613-143142692537_thumb.jpg