LAYING UP FOR THE WINTER

Guest The jACK OF HEARTS

Guest The jACK OF HEARTS

I have to leave my 1948 Continental Convertible in the garage here in North Carolina for the winter....about a six month lay-up. Any one have suggestions as to what I should do to prepare the car for this period of inactivity?

Guest jims41LC

Definitely a de-humidifier. You can get electric type at marine or rv stores . Not sure if the kind that use granules, like Dri-Z-Air wwould last long enough without attention. Also add fuel stabilizer. Not sure if N.C. warrants a heated garage though.

My $.02

• 4 weeks later...

I would definitely do the fuel stabilizer - full tank of fuel (minimize air space and condensation) - float charger on the battery (not a regular charger - one meant for storing batteries) - as stated above - try to keep humidity and temperature fluctuations to a minimum - change oil and new filter and a dust cover ("duststop" car cover) - and a good coat of your favorite wax. Either a cat or mouse traps to keep the little mammals away - that can cause the worst damage to a vehicle. Seems like a lot - but keeps the car as good as the day you put it away.

I believe one can get away with a good fuel stabilizer for the time period involved along with a good battery tender to maintain the battery. Much further than that though, I would for sure give consideration to draining the tank. I would for NOT run the engine just to hear it during the off months. That will do nothing but put moisture in the exhaust system as well as other places you don't want it to be. I have been storing several of my cars during the winter months for years (heated and unheated garages in N/E Ohio) and this is all I do to them. They all start right up come spring, no issues at all.

Tom

• 1 month later...

When I put my vehicles away during our long western NY winters I put them on jack stands. Does two things, keeps the tires from getting flat spots and also takes the load off the springs so they don't sag over time. The above suggestions about Stabil (or fuel stabilizer of your choice), dust cover and battery tender are spot on. Get a box of dryer sheets and load up the car. Inside, under the hood, in the truck and a few in the exhaust pipe to seal it up. Use the whole box. Mice do not like the smell and as a bonus your car will smell amazing come spring time. Stay away from moth balls. They work great in keeping the mice away but it takes FOREVER to get rid of the smell.