Starting my '41

414TATA

Call me a slow learner but I've owned my Buick 3 years and I am still having trouble starting it with out flooding it:mad:. I've tried one slow push on the acc. to starter. I've tried 2 pumps first and 3 pumps first.:confused: (any more than 3 is a guaranteed flood out). then I wait 10 mins. & try again. Car will usually start but sometimes needs another 10 min. wait. Engine is a 248 with compound carbs which were rebuilt 3 years ago. I drive it about every ten days. The weather is usually between 75 & 80 deg. when this happens so it's not a cold engine. What's the best way to start these Buicks?

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super 51

28K original miles

post-78086-143142688556_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

Might do as Mark has said, crank it over a few times, no foot feed. ( like 3-4 times ) This delivers fuel to the float bowl. Then wait 10-15-30 seconds, little or no foot feed and try. If you get a bit of a fire you are probably on the right path, then experiment a bit. 3 times OK, 8 times it floods back to 5 times..... etc.

Thanks.. Mark and outlaw car man these Buicks require the foot to the floor to engage the starter. Impossible to hit starter with out pushing down the accelerator on original car. meteror.. thanks but yes I think it floods as there is a strong gasoline smell when this happens. Others?

Guest outlaw car man

Forgot about that, my 33 has a push button on the dash. My guess might be the needle & seat & float level. Also make sure it's firing OK, as in timing issues.

I'd think more needle & seat area tho-

Wayne, are these carbs Stromberg or Carter ??

I don't think you should need to put your foot to the floor to start the engine.

Maybe the starter switch needs to be adjusted to engage earlier so that the throttle doesn't have to open as wide before cranking.

Danny

Wayne, I have a 41 Super with dual carbs (strombergs) and like Meteor mentioned above, I have the opposite condition than you. If my car sits for a month or more, the fuel either evaporates or drains back to the tank, requiring a cranking period so fuel to be pumped back into the carbs before it will fire up. In regard to your condition...... smelling gas is a good indication it is flooding. Have you checked the function status of the automatic choke? Remove the air cleaner unit and look at the postion of the choke. If it is stuck in the closed position, it will cause the engine to flood as it won't get enough air flow, just raw gas. They do have some adjustment, but first I'd check to make sure it's not stuck in the choked position. Just for info, I don't believe there is any "adjustment" for the starting switch and don't think that would be your problem.

Hope this helps, Tim

Thanks again Gents. I'll check that choke.. I do depress the clutch every time to start. She did crank on the first try yesterday with a very slow push to the starter.. Might be on to something here. I'll try that one again tomorrow.

The Strombergs on my '41 Roadmaster tend to dry out also after about a week of sitting. I usually pump the gas twice, and it with fire immediately, but stall out just as quick. Then it takes some cranking to fill the carb then it starts fine. On an overnight sit, or just a few days, it starts and runs fairly easily from cold.

Choke adjustment is important, and I keep mine a bit on the lean side.

As I recall there is a start switch adjustment, but it is usually done when the carb is on the bench and it has to be shimmed to achieve proper action.

But as long as it works, that's the main thing.

Keith