Flushing Brake System

I finished rebuilding my calipers and replacing my brake hoses, and am ready to flush the fluid from the system. I have read the shop manual and I think I understand the procedure.

Should the front wheels be bled before the rear wheels, or vice versa, or does it matter?

Edited by DamnTheTorpedo (see edit history)

I finished rebuilding my calipers and replacing my brake hoses, and am ready to flush the fluid from the system. I have read the shop manual and I think I understand the procedure.

Should the front wheels be bled before the rear wheels, or vice versa, or does it matter?

Right rear first, then left rear, bleed these with power on and light pressure on the brake peddle, very easy to do. Front brakes right side first and don't open the bleeder until you pump down all the pressure and then bleed like normal brakes, you can also gravity bleed the fronts.

Right rear first, then left rear, bleed these with power on and light pressure on the brake peddle, very easy to do. Front brakes right side first and don't open the bleeder until you pump down all the pressure and then bleed like normal brakes, you can also gravity bleed the fronts.

Thanks Digger. Here's where I am now: I bled all the brakes as instructed. The orange ABS light never did come on at all, although the pump would run for a few seconds and then shut off. Even when I had a rear wheel bleeder open, the pump would run for a second then shut off for a second then run again, etc.

After bleeding the rear and front brakes, I started the car. Again, the ABS light did not come on, but the red brake system light was on.

When I press the brakes, the pedal goes half way down and then stops. The red light stays on. Then the pedal drops another inch, and the red light goes out. Still no orange ABS light.

Do I still have air in the system or something more serious?

How do I troubleshoot the ABS light?

Have to ask is the ABS light bulb good? Turn the key to near start position and watch your dash lights, unless you have your parking break set the ABS light should be on anytime the red brake light is, don't want to give you extra work.

Bubbles in the fluid will tell you if you still have air in the system, get a long chunk of rubber tube that fits snug on the bleeder, put some fluid in a clear jar, get the other end of your hose below fluid level and watch for bubbles when someone else pushes on the brakes. When bubbles stop, you're good.

More likely a bad contact in the brake wire harness, lost mine a couple days ago to a loose spade connection at the pump relay. When you pull the relay block assembly flip it over and with a firm but gentle tug check each wire connect. Two of us here found same thing within just a couple of days and it was loose connector in the block under the center brake relay. Clean all your contacts while yo have it loose.