29 Franklin 130. Anyone ever changed from updraft carb to down draft carb?

rustrodsrule

Sure. Bob Green did it years ago on an Olympic and there was a 1930 speedster at the Trek this year with 3 side draft Webers. It can be done on any engine with the Swan type manifold but you probably will have to somehow add exhaust heat to the intake manifold.

Not sure that this would make any power improvement without other internal modifications.

Its been my experience that every conversion from updraft to downdraft makes a noticeable difference in performance. I had a 1914 Ford speedster that both manifolds were inverted. On that motor I installed a small Tillison carburetor from a Crosley, pressure feed and i It made a huge difference. I bought a 1929 Franklin sedan that had the intake turned over and on that car the previous owner had installed a model 97 Stromberg. My friend and fellow club member tells of a 28 Chev4 cyl that had a downdraft installed when he was a kid and gain he attests to its much improved performance. I would try it out !

Bob, I had to let off so the rest of the guys had a chance.... Mike

As stripped down, lightened and modified your '14 T was it just barely beat the time that my completely stock '15 Roadster turned at the hill climb. I remember your remark about me "chirping" the T tires when I left the start line.