odd wiper problem on 88

KDirk

My scrubby 88 has exhibited a strange issue with the windshield wipers ever since I've owned it. All functions (high/low/pulse/wash) work as they should but when pressing wipers off the wipers will operate at low speed for 4-6 more swipes. My other 88 doesn't do this, the wipers shut off immediately. I have ssuspected a faulty switch assy.

Now I have tried 3 other wiper switch banks in the car (all tested good spares) and get the same symptom each and every time. This is a minor annoyance, but I'd still like to fix it. Any ideas?

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

Yes, your problem is in the wiper motor assy. Not meant to be repairable, just replaced, but with your skills, I think you might be able to repair it if you gave it a shot. There are internal contacts meant to allow motor to run until parked after power is turned off at the switch similar to the power antenna. Probably there is something amiss with them.

Well, you just caused me to add another item to my to-do list. My wipers have been doing this periodically as well. Here in N Texas, we get such little rain, that I seldom ever use the wipers, but it is annoyance when I do need them. I will be curious as to what you find as you tear into the wiper motor.

david t

I will be picking up a replacement this week. Looks like about $50. If there is no core charge, I'll try tearing the old one down and fixing it. If they want the core back, I won't bother. Given the minimal cost of a new (rebuilt) unit it probably isn't worth the aggravation of tearing apart for a DIY fix anyway.

Given I just did battle tearing down and rebuilding a spare wiper switch assembly (what a dog of a design the internal mechanism is on that) I'm not looking for another 2 hours wasted on getting a bunch of small parts back in a casing correctly. Will report back here if I do though.

KDirk